AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be the first thing I put up on my 507W? This whole powerbuy thing has been quite the ordeal, and I want to kick things off right. Below are a couple of options I'm toying with, but I'd love to hear other opinions. (Oh, and while I realize that an Avia disk is probably the "right" answer, it's a poohead answer for nofunicks.)

Atari 2600 (for a start at the beginning theme - it's the oldest image I can produce.)

StarWars Laserdisc (the film that started my love affair with movies.)

Plugging in cable and randomly flipping through channels - trying to find something good on (what the TV will undoubtedly spend most of it's life doing.)

A really show-offy DVD.

Other?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great thread !

I've been saving Monsters Inc. specifically for this purpose. I want something that will look terrific without all of the Service Menu tweeks !

I'm not sure what to follow up with. Hopefully I'll get some ideas from this thread.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
How about "Oprah" and "Dr. Phil"?

If those don't look good then the WAF will be beating me on the head....

:) heh, heh!

·
Registered
332 Posts
A PC (more specifically an HTPC) would be the MANDATORY first choice. :D

This set BEGS for a computer's progressive output. Its array of inputs allow quite a selection of choices...;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gerhard911
Great thread !

I've been saving Monsters Inc. specifically for this purpose. I want something that will look terrific without all of the Service Menu tweeks !

I'm not sure what to follow up with. Hopefully I'll get some ideas from this thread.

And I thought I was the only one saving movies for the arrival of my new DLP :) I've bought about 7 or 8 in the last few months and have been saving them for a special occasion. Whenever my wife brings up Monsters Inc. on pay per view I've got to scold her and shut it off..........we've only been allowed to watch crappy movies over the last few months. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Speaking of saving things for the 507, I specifically haven't bought the Gamecube game Eternal Darkness (16:9, 480p) because I want to play it only on my future 507.

Monsters Inc. does look incredible on the 507 even without the SM tweaks. That would be a good one to start on.

But for me, never having HD before, and having my 160 STB, 3 LNB dish, and antenna up and running for a couple weeks now, the first thing I will do is plug in the DVI cable and change to channel 199. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been saving "A Beautiful Mind" and "SW: Attack of the Clones", but given in to temptation and watched SW on PC.

My Hitachi 27'' served me well for 8 years, but it lost the blue channel after two lighting strike. (I didn't plugged it to a surge protector. My fault..)

I am beginning to be anxious now that the first batch people are getting their sets.

Patience, patience..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd go Monsters, Inc. too, right after running the THX test on the disk and getting settings all purty-like.

klick

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would say Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Of course, this is a title that might require SM tweaks. I know I am not the only one waiting to watch this on my new 507! Please come soon! I want my 507 SOOO bad.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Grab Monsters Inc, an adult beverage, kick back and enjoy, it's a beautiful thing.

Jim

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Shrek is good too. Legally Blonde. Behind Enemy Lines. We Were Soldiers. Harry Potter. Heck, use the component input and everything looks good.

Wait until you see HDNet!

Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought 4 movies this past week and just watched Ice Age, going to see Star Wars, Frailty, and Lord of the Rings. I have not opened the packages. Just watched Ice Age and it was amazing....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.