AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! This is my first post ever on this forum, although I have been lurking for quite some time now.

I have Klispch RF-3II's as my mains, an older Kenwood center speaker, an older pair of floor-standing Sony's as my side surrounds, and cheap Sony bookshelfs for my rears. These are all running on my Pioneer VSX-43TX.

The distance from my side surrounds is almost twice as long as the distance from the tv(mitsu WS-55819) to my couch (which is right up against the back wall). The rear bookshelf speakers are about 3-4 ft. above the couch pointing toward the front wall. I know I have alot of the "what not to do's" when it comes to a home theater but I am planning to upgrade my surrounds and my center to match the mains that I currently have.

My questions are:

1. Would bipolar speakers (RS-35) be the best choice for my sides considering the dimensions in my living room? Or would the bookshelves (RB-35) be a better choice?

2. Since the couch is right up against the back wall, should I install in-ceiling speakers(RCR-3) pointing down at the couch? Should I install in-wall speakers (RCW-3) closer to the listening position (maybe ~2ft. above couch)? Or would it be wiser to go for the bookshelves toed in at about the same height?

3. What is the general consensus on these speakers from the Klipsch reference line?

I would greatly appreciate any help from the forum, and I am also always open to other alternative suggestions to my situation.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The problem I see is being your couch is so close to the wall you will be able to localize surround speakers. Not the optimum situation. Consider placing surrounds on the floor behind the couch pointing up. This way the sound is bounce off the rear wall and the listener would hear reflective sound instead of direct, near field. The listener should not be ale to localize the surround speakers. If you can move your couch away from the wall some you will notice an improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I don't have an optimum setup with my couch right up against the back wall, but I was wondering if there was any other recommended setup for my problem. Would the in-ceiling speakers pointing down at the couch be out of the question in terms of eliminating localization? How about considering bipolar speakers for the back wall? I know I would probably have to settle with moving the couch and pointing the rear surrounds upwards, but I just wanted to know if there was another option. I appreciate the reply eddie.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
1. Would bipolar speakers (RS-35) be the best choice for my sides considering the dimensions in my living room? Or would the bookshelves (RB-35) be a better choice?
It's actually a matter of preference. I think Dolby specs say diffuse on the sides(RS-3II) and point source behind(RB-5II, RB-3II, or RC-3II). This is just what I've read from other posters, but you can find out for sure at www.dolby.com. In my experiences, I prefer to use point source speakers all the way around for HT, also, if you listen to any multichannel music(DVD-A, SACD, or any DSP modes) you'll want point source all around.

Quote:
Since the couch is right up against the back wall, should I install in-ceiling speakers(RCR-3) pointing down at the couch? Should I install in-wall speakers (RCW-3) closer to the listening position (maybe ~2ft. above couch)? Or would it be wiser to go for the bookshelves toed in at about the same height?
I wouldn't put the do in-ceiling pointing down. In my system the listening position is right up against the back wall, I've tried 7.1 in my system with excellent results. I simply had them facing forward about 4ft above my head. I couldn't localize the sound and thought it worked well.
Quote:
3. What is the general consensus on these speakers from the Klipsch reference line?
If you like them, that's all that matters. People tend to either love or hate Klipsch speakers, the general consensus from the haters are that they are harsh, extremely bright, and induce a lot of ear fatigue. I will admit they are picky about what's upstream from them though. The Klipsch lovers will say their Klipsch speakers aren't bright, they are clear. All other speakers sound like they have a blanket over them. The more serious ones will start to bring up the low distortion advantage of having high efficiency speakers. Bottm line is if you like the way it sounds, buy it. If you don't go on to something else. Me I'll take my harsh, bright, ear fatiguing speakers over all others and be happy.

·
Registered
31,185 Posts
Sonix,

One of the benefits of going from 5.1 to 7.1 is to enjoy better localization, not less. A 7.1 system should allow you to hear distinct localization to your left vs your right vs behind you. It's easy to get left/right surround imaging, just place speakers to your left & right sides. But, with your couch against the back wall, it is going to be tough getting surround-back content to appear like it's coming specifically from behind you.

I've heard a set-up like the one Eddie described; while not optimal, it really did separate sounds from the sides vs sounds that are supposed to image from behind. In-ceiling speakers can often sound like the surround-back content is coming from above you (not behind). If you are going to go with in-ceiling speakers, see if you can find ones with pointable tweeters and aim them at the back wall. You really do want flyovers to go from front to back, not front to overhead.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Sonix welcome to this forum. Speakers in the ceiling is the last place for good sound. This link to Dolby shows alternative surround placement, but back it up and you see the preferred placement:

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh...0110.html#s3.3

Aim your sides toward each other, not to the ceiling. Compensate for your drastic side surround distance in your phase/audio setup in your Dvd player, or receiver. Using the Klipsch reference line is the minority in this case. Although they are good speakers the first thing to do is get the identical speakers all the way around. When you have the same brand and close to the same model, or same model number of speaker the speakers are timbre matched. Having this perfect tonal quality in each speaker re-produces better panning effects which is the movement from one speaker to the next in a consistent manner. ( I would use monopoles/direct-radiating speakers not the bipoles) and get proper speaker placement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome. I appreciate all your guys' help on this matter. From doing more research I've decided that I am gonna go with the bookshelves for the side surrounds and the rears. The final decision I am gonna have to make will be either moving the couch off the wall a little to allow space for the rear surrounds on the floor pointing up, or to place the speakers slightly overhead facing each other (as opposed to facing the front in my current setup). The bookshelves will also give me the flexibility of being able to test different setups. I would just like to know beforehand if there are any forum members with either of the two setups that can tell me personally how they like it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 7.1 setup, I used a pair of Omnimount speaker brackets and aimed each back surround speaker slightly downward 3 feet above my head, my sofa is against the wall also. Sound good to me. I tried with the back surrounds on the floor shooting up, kind of muffled the sound because my sofa back top portion is slightly sloped to the back and touching the wall. I was going to install in-wall if it did not work out but it sound fine to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.