AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get why FOX gets by without doing HD. Anyway, is there something that can be done to either get them to go real HD or get out of the football business? It seams terrible that most of the football game are still not in HD because of FOX that seams to be thumbing its nose at the FCC and the market.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Um, Fox recently announed that they are going to HD this fall. By recently, I mean last June.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jgrobertson
...because of FOX that seams to be thumbing its nose at the FCC and the market.
There is no FCC mandate that a TV signal must be broadcast in HD (720p or 1080i). So how is FOX "thumbing its nose at the FCC"? :confused:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Fox was just being a little stubborn and wanted to pitch a hissy fit before complying.

Not unlike my children.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I agree what a drag going from HD game to the garbage that Fox broadcasts in not to mention it was a horrible game unles you are a Carolina fan.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am happy for the Carolina fans, truly I am, but that game was B-O-R-I-N-G.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm sure the Fox people have two eyes like the rest of us and if they were looking could see the stark difference in PQ yesterday between the CBS game and the Fox game. Any sports-minded Fox executive in his or her right mind would have to say we gotta go to HD for our football and baseball games as well as our NASCAR races. ED is history!

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
A year ago, Fox was preoccupied with the Direct acquisition. Some confusing marketing hype about "Fox High Resolution" would paper over the situation and send the Techie Posse in the wrong direction for the time being.

Once that was resolved, I'm sure the new owners took note of what they saw when they were switching their plasmas between Fox and CBS. And they connected the (missing 540) dots with their targeted Digital Age demographics.

Few product quality issues are as obvious (and hype-transparent) as what you put up on the tube or screen.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Stuewe
They are going HD by next season. Patience
Be prepared to wait more than one season to get your satisfaction.

This year, even though CBS has one HD game a week, they were often blacked out, not shown, or pre-empted by some local team game, in 4x3 SD. Nearly half of the CBS HD games were simply not shown in this area. If FOX goes 1 HD game per week, it may well be un-available by some NFL rules, just like CBS.

Fortunately, with ESPN's sunday night and ABC's MNF, chances are there'll be 3 or more HD games per week, that's pretty good.

We are so spoiled, the other 98% are still watching every NFL game on garbage 4x3 SD !!

·
Registered
786 Posts
But for myself I think think many others here who are true NFL fans would have the NFL Sunday Ticket and I would rather see 1 CBS and FOX HD game than none at all and yes for most people it won't be available to everyone on any week but all this season I was able to see every CBS HD game via Sunday Ticket because if it was on my local CBS station I would watch it there (10-1) and if not I have channel 70. It will be the same for me with FOX. It will be 13-1 locally or maybe channel 71 for everyone else (who has NFL ST) so I'm not upset. If a person wants those games so bad they can get the ST and if that it too much money than so be it because you can't have your cake and eat it too even though I wish we all could it will never happen sadly.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Latest word (see the HDTV Programming Synopsis) is that 1/2 of the NFL ST games in 2004 will be HDTV, so that means many more local viewers will see games in HDTV.

Also, as a NFL ST sub, I saw all 17 of the CBS HD regular season games. None of them were blacked out.

And as pointed out above, Fox will be offering at least 50% of their schedule in HDTV for the fall 2004 TV season. Again, see the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Also, as a NFL ST sub, I saw all 17 of the CBS HD regular season games. None of them were blacked out.

You were very fortunate all of the New York local team (Jets) CBS games were Blacked out. Not a biggie for those who can go with an OTA option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It just occurred to me that living near LA like I do and not having our own football team is actually a really good thing eh? It means no games should get blacked out for me!!!

HAHAH! Thank you rams!! glad you left!!!

oh and raiders too

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wward
You were very fortunate all of the New York local team (Jets) CBS games were Blacked out. Not a biggie for those who can go with an OTA option.
Blacked out because of not selling out a home game? There were no blackouts of ANY CBS HD game on channel 70 this year for any other reason, even if the game was being shown in HD or SD locally.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Simrdai
It just occurred to me that living near LA like I do and not having our own football team is actually a really good thing eh? It means no games should get blacked out for me!!!

HAHAH! Thank you rams!! glad you left!!!

oh and raiders too
Except when KCBS decides to broadcast the Raiders anyway...

-sketchy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
Blacked out because of not selling out a home game? There were no blackouts of ANY CBS HD game on channel 70 this year for any other reason, even if the game was being shown in HD or SD locally.
Not to make this another long and drawn out discussion on blackouts but, all of the home games for the Giants and Jets are always sold out.

Having said that; the reason that the Jets games as an example are blacked out on the HD channel, its due to the fact that the local station WCBS carries all of the Jets games and its available to me either OTA or via DirecTv locals package.

So no matter who the Jets play and if the game is shown on the DirecTv HD football channel it will be blacked out in the New York metro area. Hope I made sense.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by MnGuy
I recall here in DC that when CBS broadcase NFL OTA, I was blocked for channel 70 but that was done in my receiver as it knows I get CBS OTA I think.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Agreed that Fox ED is a big letdown when compared to CBS HD. With the latter you can see tiny details of the players even on the longshots. The Fox picture only looks good on closeups and blocky on the longshots. Luckily this must have also been apparent to the execs at Fox :).

I was very lucky to be able to watch most of the Cowboy games in HD/ED this year. If they had not "surged" to a better record it would have been a different story I'm sure, but the Dallas market combined with a competitive team (TBD in the future I know) caused Dallas to get boosted in terms of both broadcast team and ED priority.

I haven't heard any more about it, but there was some talk about Monday Night Football being able to select their matchups on a week-by-week basis in the future, leading to more interesting games late in the season. What this, plus the allocation of HD slots for the Sunday games, means is that the better games will have better quality.

Of course, if your team sucks you will probably be watching them in SD :). (You can throw that comment back in my face next year if things don't work out well for the Cowboys :D)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wward
They most certainly were not. Not the CBS HD games on Chan. 70. I live in the NYC area and caught parts of every CBS HD game on Chan. 70 this season. There were no blackouts. The FOX games on 71 and 72 were a different story. There were several blackouts, but only because the game was being shown locally, which meant in FOX Widescreen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.