AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again,

Has anyone had any issues with an independent shop doing repairs under warranty only to foul something else up?

Here's the deal. Last week I called Samsung because I had 1-2 stuck mirrors with my DLP. They called a "local" shop to have them schedule an in-house repair, which they did . The tech shows up on Saturday with a brand new light engine and replaces it fairly quickly, he gets everything back together and hooks up my cable box so I can make sure everything looks good while he finishes fastening the rear cover. Everything looks great, off he goes.

The next day, I go to watch a DVD through my DVD player connected via HDMI. Nada. There is a signal, but the device is blocking the audio/video due to a problem with HDCP. Hook up the cable box via HDMI and this is how I found out about the HDCP issue. On the screen is an error about my TV not supporting HDCP and to please use component inputs. Great. Sunday, they're closed. Monday is a holiday. So, I call Samsung on Tuesday and they tell me the shop is obligated to fix this issue since they broke it and to work with the shop to get this fixed. Ok, no problem.

I call the shop and talk to the guy. It's the tech that came out, who is likely also the owner and a one-man show. I tell him what the problem is and instead of trying to get the situation resolved he starts complaining about how he doesn't get paid for call-backs and how they make him look bad, as if I'm supposed to say "Oh, well in that case nevermind. I'll live with a TV that you broke." This continues on for another minute or two before he tells me he should be able to come out sometime this weekend. Didn't give me a time, nothing. I call back today, it's busy. Try again and get an answering machine. Call Samsung and tell the engineer what's going on, he repeats what I was told before about the shop having to fix it and to deal with them. This time he offered to call the shop for me and then transfer me, so he put me on hold.

About 5 minutes later the engineer comes back and tells me nobody was answering and that he left a message telling them to call both Samsung and I back and that one of their techs was very unprofessional by complaining to the customer.

Still no call back. I really like Samsung as a company and their overall support has been great, but what am I to do if the shop avoids me and Samsung keeps referring me back to the shop that did the repairs which ended up somehow breaking HDMI/HDCP in the process?

I'm hoping if the shop keeps blowing me off Samsung will step up and do the right thing, getting a different shop to come out, fix the problem, and bill the original shop. Perhaps then the original guy will understand it's better...and cheaper...to stand by their work and take care of customers.

Sorry for the rant, I'm actually just curious if anyone else has had similar situations and how they ended up being resolved.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have no advice for getting the guy to come back and fix it. Anything you could do to force him would probably take longer than it will take him to drag his lazy butt back to your house on his own.

BUT, since you could be waiting awhile anyway, you might search the owner's thread for your model and make sure there isn't some totally simple thing that is commonly done after a service to re-enable the HDMI ports. I know there are some TVs that disable HDMI if you open them up, and then you have to reset it by pushing a combination of buttons on the remote or getting into the SM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.