Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH.

I have read all I can stand on DVD players. The more I read and the deeper I get and the more places I inquire the more confused answers I get.

Given that, I will ironically ask this one final question: Should I just end it all and pick up a decent inexpensive DVD player and WAIT until something comes out that FINALLY seems to fit the bill? Or have I passed on to the level of the home theater hobbyist who will simply never be satisfied with the picture, sound, etc and will always see the flawes in mmy equipment...

Ahhh to long for days where ignorance was bliss........now I am poisoned by the quest for the best image, etc.

I was on the verge of getting the new Panny S35K yesterday and just going with that. I also had been looking at the DVD-25 by H&K, but that is more expensive and who knows how it works.

Darn it all!!!!!!!!!!:D

Now I read about the cadence vs. flag reading stuff (see other post) and the confusion gets even WORSE than before. Who would have thought that buying a new DVD player would be MORE difficult a choice than buying a new and different model frickin' CAR????

:eek:

Anyway, please help. Is there counseling for this sort of thing???:D

There should be a forum here for H.T.D.S anonymous...

(Home Theater Distress Syndrome) LOL:p

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
just wanted to say, i've been very satisfied with my Malata 520.

i bought it soley to play other region and PAL material, with my Panasonic RP56 being my primary player.

the panny still provides the better picture (but only by a hair), but i enjoy using the Malata much more.

better sound quality, better features, the ability to play any disc in the world, swift execution of remote commands.

i'm not recommending it because it puts out the best picture you'll ever see, but because of it's extreme flexability and general high quality, which make it a great value in my eyes.

at least it's a nice player to get by with, while you & I wait for that 'ultimate' deck to surface.

i'm thinking of picking up another for a spare.

Quote:
have I passed on to the level of the home theater hobbyist who will simply never be satisfied with the picture, sound, etc and will always see the flawes in mmy equipment...
probably :).

you will never, NEVER get to a point where you will be 100% satisfied you have the best a/v possible.

not even if you spent 10x what you are planning to now.

always in the back of your mind there will be that nagging..."i wonder if this could be a little bit better?"

being happy and satisfied with what you are lucky to have is a mindset i'm trying hard to achieve.

to me, that's the best 'tweak' i can ever imagine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How much do you want to spend? What other hardware do you have? If you want a decent, low-priced player for now and want to wait for something of better quality and features for the future (even though the waiting will never end)... then you might want to look at the JVC XV-SA600. It has a slew of features (including DVD-A) and handles just about any type of disc you throw at it (DVD, DVD-A, VCD, SVCD, xVCD, etc).

I really think its a great player for those that are waiting for the 'ultimate' player, and for those that don't need to know they have DCDi this and Faroudja that (note: of course this is desirable, but for some, right now, just not 'necessary'). Anyway, it comes in two flavors and is priced nicely...

XV-SA600BK - black

XV-SA602SL - silver

Hopefully others will chime in and recommend something also.

[=]

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whaterver I get will be hooked to a Panasonic SD 42" plasma. I tried the faroudja DCDi route (Denon 1600) and did not like the artificial image I saw on the plasma. I don't like the idea of hunting for an "extinct" player, ither, so most of the Panny's are OUT of my equation -

I actually tried the JVC 600, but was dismayed by having subtitles pop up in the middle of many movies (never figured out why). The deal breaker happened when a friend came over to check out the system, and while we were watching The Matrix, the player froze five times during the movie. I was so steamed I wanted to crush the player over a fencepost the next day. I had other movies freeze as well - discs in PERFECT condition as well. That player is gone.

I know my display deserves a "higher-end" player, but at this time the options are not there, IMO. Right now I am forced to use my X-Box as a DVD player, which makes me want to bang my head on the coffee table, it is so bad.;)

The S35K looks to be cheap and decent.

The DVD-25 looks to be good as well, but finding info on it is hard.

I have owned H&K receivers in the past with no complaints. My Toshiba DVD players (current SD3750 dead and older SD-1200 or something) both died in 1.5 years...so it seems the usable life of Toshiba is short. I dont need the DVD-A of the SD4800, and had HOPED before this angst began to try a different brand. So far brand switching for me has been a bad experience.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow, that's strange to hear about the JVC... I honestly have never had a problem with mine. I also purchased one for my parents and one for my brother, and they have not complained. Maybe yours was just a bad apple?

Anyway,

Good luck

- Leo

·
Registered
462 Posts
The HK DVD-25 is a great unit. You should try it out. I believe it uses the same decoder as the JVC. I prefer the DCDi/Panasonic units but the HK performed very well in the short period of time that I played with it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I too had the HK, but I felt that it was pretty over priced for what it did. Maybe the price has gone down by now, but I think it was around $300 previously. However, it looks pretty classy... complements an HK set-up well.

- Leo

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The big issue I have is "darned those secrets shootouts!!" for making me scared to buy aNyThInG ever again!!!!!

\\

:D :eek:

·
Registered
573 Posts
pcrx

On the other hand, if the technology was stagnant, we wouldn't like that either. I think what you buy now depends a lot on the display. My interlaced Samsung looks fine on my 34xbr800 that converts it to 480p. If I had a projector with DVI, I would seriously be looking at the Bravo D1. If I had a EDTV 480p plasma, I might futz with finding a Panny but more likely would get a Denon 1600. The new Samsung DVD HD-931 is coming out soon. Etc.

The technology is like a movie that never ends (we hope, LOL). When you buy electronics, it is like taking a snapshot of that movie but the technology will pass us up soon enough. Even though Sony is releasing direct views that will make my 9 month old HDTV basically obsolete, I will still enjoy it until it croaks or until HDTV & DVD is all we have to watch (bye bye NTSC). Then I will get a big plasma. It may help to quit reading forums for a while after making a purchase. After getting my wife a 2000 VW Passat V6 a few years back, I quit reading the car forums. :D

Take care.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.