AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I know this is a relatively silly question, but I'm wondering what most people do if their cable is too long for the connection it needs to make (of course, there's the solution of buying smaller cables, but what to do with what you've got). Do you loop it in circles and twist-tie it so it doesn't unravel or perhaps loop in circles, but then squish it flat into a wide oval and twist-tie across that? Or perhaps use zip-ties instead of twist-ties? Other solutions?

As a side question, I believe I've read that it's bad to have power cords running through/near a/v cables, just wanted to double check on that theory.

-Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
It also depends on what type of cable it is. If it is a RCA, I just loop them tight and tie them up. If it is an Optical cable, I loosely loop them and tie them. It states on the optical packaging not to bend it at sever angles so as not to break the cable inside. And for Digital Coaxial, I loop as little as possible due to the rigidity of the cable and tie. I then tuck the cables behind the entertainment center. I also use the flexible black tubing to conseal the lines that are in view in the entertainment center to give a uniform appearance.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wouldn't this be the ideal application for BlueTooth or 802.11g? If wireless networking could be applied to Home Theaters, we wouldn't need cables at all ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are correct...

Power Cables and Signal Cables don't play well together (in theory). To eradicate your fears, just keep them a few inches away from each other, and if they have to cross, do it at a 90 degree angle (+).

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I leave mine in a big squirrelly mess behind the TV, right next to the bag of zip ties with a mental note to organize that mess. I don't think it's the recommended method, but I bet it's the most popular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.