AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to match my center to the B&W's but I got such a good deal on a pair of definitive bp2002's, I couldn't pass it up.

So I'm gonna match my center to the Deftech's instead.

I questioned my receiver's ability to drive the deftech's so I might use my vsx 912 to run the b&w's upstairs and find a more powerful amp for the deftech's.

Anyway, I don't wanna give up on the B&W's - they're awesome.

Any ideas welcomed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Did you actually give those Def Techs a good listen before jumping on them? If your current system uses the DM602, moving to the Def Techs is a pretty drastic change. The B&Ws have very different tonal characterstics, so even if you move the 602s into the back for surround use (which is typically the best use for a pair of older bookshelf speakers) the timbre match will be less than ideal. I hope you truly like those Def Techs and aren't shopping for a bargain more so than shopping for speakers.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Jenspetermeyer,

I agree with Woochifers comments. B&Ws and Definitives are so different....

Definitive's are great. I have auditioned them many times (from the little Promonitors to BP tower series speakers). But the point here is that once you go with Def bipolars for mains, the best thing you can do is to pair them up to bookshelf sized bipolar surrounds (Def Tech of course), or another pair of 2002 (if your wallet is still fat :D).

In short: use DEF´s with one receiver, and the B&Ws with another one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have owned both Def and B&W 600 series in my time and both are quality makes in my opinion. However I feel their CC6 vis a vis B&W, is a poor centre. Stepping up to the 800's kind of helped that out, but that is a different story...

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Woochifer
Did you actually give those Def Techs a good listen before jumping on them? If your current system uses the DM602, moving to the Def Techs is a pretty drastic change. The B&Ws have very different tonal characterstics, so even if you move the 602s into the back for surround use (which is typically the best use for a pair of older bookshelf speakers) the timbre match will be less than ideal. I hope you truly like those Def Techs and aren't shopping for a bargain more so than shopping for speakers.
Hey listen I only paid $100.- I was willing to risk not liking them.

They do sound better for HT (to me). I figure I could use the B&W's in another room - I'm definitely not getting rid of them.:D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi Jenspeter,

Good choice!!:)

I wish I had the money to upgrade bedroom's HTIB Kenwood 503 as you are doing now (it stinks), but I'll spend my savings in a new Rotel RMB-1075 power amp (120watt x5). Then my Denon 3803 will play the pre/pro role :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.