AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't mean to cross post but they directed me to ask over here in the DIY forum from the Sub forum:

Budget $200.00

Long story short, I have a Shiva with a Def Tech plate amp that was in a sonotube enclosure in the corner of my room for the last 10 years I would say. Well times change and furniture is replaced and basically the old 4’ sonotube has to go. I don’t really have the time or ability for a full custom build so I did some looking and saw the old sealed enclosure Shiva applications ( http://www.recordcrate.net/diy/shiva/SealedShivaApplications.pdf ) and saw a 54l Q= 0.707 box is good for the Shiva. Well it so happens I noticed the Parts Express http://www.parts-express.com/knock-down-mdf-20-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-12-ultimax-subwoofer--300-7081 with 1LB of polyfill says it is Q= 0.707 and 2.0 cubic feet is 56 or so liters, so my novice self thought just buy the 2.0 cubic foot box from PE and I’m in business. Some spikes, speaker grill etc. would put me under $200.00

Question for you guys way smarter than I, is this crazy? Would I be better off abandoning the old Shiva and just buying a Dayton kit or something new. Has technology changed to the point where I would get much better bang for the buck from something new?

Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I don't think you could do better given your budget. Obviously if you upgraded to a 15" or 18" driver, you would get significantly better performance. The Avatar Shiva has an xmax of about 16mm so is decent even compared to new drivers. The most bang for the buck is with an 18" driver like the SI 18" (now being closed out) or the Dayton 18" RS. But you would be at or over $200 for the driver alone.

Confession: I have 4 Avatar Shivas sitting in original boxes, The original deal was too good to pass up, but too many projects and too little time.

·
Bass Enabler
21,660 Posts
Whew. An old pre-Adire Shiva. Wow! I still have my Adire Tempest in use and just recently replaced some Adire 281's and LCC.

Anyway. The ol' Shiva was a decent driver. The modern equivalent is the Dayton DVC12 which you can pick up on Parts Express. It's not really built up to todays standards but still worth using.

Go ahead and pickup a flatpack enclosure ~2-3cuft. You should be pretty good or a drop in. Easy work.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Without any detailed specs for the woofer used in that Dayton sub, or some testing, it would be difficult to make a call. My guess is that it is a toss-up. The 15" driver would have nearly twice the SD (cone area), but might have half or less the xmax (excursion). Maybe PE has some more info on the woofer used in the SUB1500. It might very well outperform the Shiva. If it were me, I would probably stick with the Shiva until I could upgrade to an 18" driver in an appropriate box. Or sell the Shiva and try to squeeze a few more dollars out to make the upgrade now. $324 (plus shipping) for a huge increase in performance. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7094

·
Registered
664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1520314/what-to-do-with-my-old-avatar-pre-adire-12-shiva-woofer#post_24423972

Whew. An old pre-Adire Shiva. Wow! I still have my Adire Tempest in use and just recently replaced some Adire 281's and LCC.

Anyway. The ol' Shiva was a decent driver. The modern equivalent is the Dayton DVC12 which you can pick up on Parts Express. It's not really built up to todays standards but still worth using.

Go ahead and pickup a flatpack enclosure ~2-3cuft. You should be pretty good or a drop in. Easy work.
I too have the original Tempest, which my brother is going to get. I still use the 281s, LCC, and 81s.
Great speakers! What do you have the Tempest in? I've heard it's great for BFM's tuba horn.

·
Bass Enabler
21,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mitten  /t/1520314/what-to-do-with-my-old-avatar-pre-adire-12-shiva-woofer#post_24427040

I too have the original Tempest, which my brother is going to get. I still use the 281s, LCC, and 81s.
Great speakers! What do you have the Tempest in? I've heard it's great for BFM's tuba horn.

I use the Tempest in the vented "Adire alignment" as they called it. Basically it was a compromise between the EBS and the SBBS alignment. Tuned to 15.4hz I would get very usable extension to about that low in room. Such a great sub I still use it.

The LCC and 281's are going in my room. HT #2 begins!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts