AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I continue to buy more and more BDs, I am left wondering what to do with my old DVDs (that are being replaced)? It became apparent this week with Pirates of the Caribbean that I must do something.

Do you guys sell them to pawn shops? Are there places online that buyback for cash? If so, who are they and how was your experience.

I'm itching to get rid of some old DVDs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I give them away to friends and parents, mostly. My parents are the type of people who held onto VHS up until just 2 years ago. They don't really care for HD right now, so I just hand down my DVDs to them as I get BD versions. I also give my old DVDs to my girlfriend as I think she needs to watch more movies! So far, I've gotten rid of DVDs for both pirates movies, Open Season, Last Samurai, BHD, and some more.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I ask myself this question everyday. I told myself I am not buying ANYMORE DVD's, I'm still going to keep the ones I have but if there is a specific movie I want to get in HD like matrix and POTC then I just give my old DVD copies to my relatives or sell them dirt cheap to my friends.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been trading mine in to Gamestop and buying video games. I only buy about 3-5 games a year, so I figure the few bucks they give me for each will cover the costs for the games.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I said i wouldn't double dip that much on HD-DVD/Blu-ray and yet 1/4 of my movies have been exactly what i said i wouldn't do. I traded in 75 of my old dvds to get a good chunk off my PS3 unit and i keep trading them in for the newer releases as well on both formats. It slike my DVD habit all over again when i went from VHS to DVD

·
Banned
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

I knew I was a goner after I watched my first HD DVD. So I sold my entire DVD collection on ebay and now I have plenty of cash to waste all over again.

As I read more and more posts about HD DVD and BD, I've begun to wonder if some people buy these discs simply based upon PQ and the need to "have" a bunch of HD disks instead of being interested in the content, ie the movie itself. I've seem posts where someone says they'll buy a HD movie if it's Tier 0 or 1 only, suggesting that the movie itself is less important than the PQ.

You sold all your DVDs? Weren't those movies that you were interested in having because the movie interested you? It may be a very long time, if ever, before every one of those movies on DVD make it to HD DVD or BD. Hell, I have a few VHS movies and laserdisk movies that have never made it to DVD. And I still want to see those movies occasionally, even if they aren't in HD and don't have pristine PQ.

Frankly, I just don't undestand how you could dump a whole movie collection if you are really interested in movies. Can you help me understand this?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i traded in a few dvds to fye yesterday and got just enough credit for the fountain. i'm only trading in dvds that i have replaced or just simply don't care to hold on to. they don't give a lot of credit (most were $2 a movie), but it's better than letting them sit around and collect dust.

as others have mentioned, i too offered them to friends and family, but, in my case, nobody seemed to care.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For me, I give the Disney duplicates to my son (or movies he likes), he's 5.He has a 32" LCD monitor and a sony 5 disc upconvert in his room.

The DVD's he doesn't want/or I wouldn't let him watch I give to my dad to sell at the swap meet. My dad is retired and makes a suplimentary income buying/selling and frequents the local swapmeets 3-4 times a month. So he takes them and brings me back the cash. It's usually only 4-7 dollars a peice, but hey it's better than nothing and on some loads he brings back enough to cover the cost of 2 or 3 blu-ray movies
I haven't gotten rid of all my dvd's for only 1 reason. I don't have enough HDDVD's/Blu-rays to fill up my DVD rack, and I don't like the bare look when I have a rack that will hold over 400. Aside from that, I could care less about my DVD's now. Even the star wars films...if it aint HD, I don't even want to watch it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A lot of them I'm not upgrading, or I'll only upgradewhen the BD hits the bargain bin. Some I might keep if they have great extras... the ones I have no compelling reason to re-watch I might put aside for "travel movies" (stuff to watch on my laptop, which doesn't have a bluray drive).

I'm still buying DVDs, although now I only buy stuff I don't expect to see on HD for another 5 years or so.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine go to Ebay - if you have not tried selling on Ebay yet, I suggest you try it. It is really easy to do and if you sell a number of your old DVDs at once you can get a good profit. I just sold off some of my DVD collection and made a good chunk of change which is in turn getting turned into Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs. I am going on a shopping spree here soon.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stein /forum/post/0

As I read more and more posts about HD DVD and BD, I've begun to wonder if some people buy these discs simply based upon PQ and the need to "have" a bunch of HD disks instead of being interested in the content, ie the movie itself. I've seem posts where someone says they'll buy a HD movie if it's Tier 0 or 1 only, suggesting that the movie itself is less important than the PQ.

You sold all your DVDs? Weren't those movies that you were interested in having because the movie interested you? It may be a very long time, if ever, before every one of those movies on DVD make it to HD DVD or BD. Hell, I have a few VHS movies and laserdisk movies that have never made it to DVD. And I still want to see those movies occasionally, even if they aren't in HD and don't have pristine PQ.

Frankly, I just don't undestand how you could dump a whole movie collection if you are really interested in movies. Can you help me understand this?

O.K. Let me see if I can explain... I should have said "most" of my DVD collection. I held on to a few titles on moratorium such as the Disney classics or films revisited often such as the Star Wars saga and Universal's classic horror films. If I absolutely had to have a title back in my collection, there was always Ebay and thousands of other online sources. I came to the conclusion that most except for the most obscure material would eventually resurface on high definition. Storage space had also become an issue for a collection that at its high point (or lowpoint depending upon your perspective) had ballooned to well over 1500 titles. Prices for DVDs were starting to drop like a rock and it was a good time to reap the rewards from years of discount hunting. After diving in to HD DVD I promised myself that I would be much more discriminating in my purchases, however like a dog chasing his tail I still find myself buying such timeless "classics" as "Scooby-Doo" and "Pearl Harbor." In just a year I have switched tracks again, this time I have jumped on to the Blu-ray bandwagon. Look, I derive some pleasure from the whole collecting process. It probably started when I bought my first comic book before adolescence or when I opened my first video store while in college. I am gonna be engaged in this crap till they throw dirt over me....

Oh, while considering one's own mortality, sit down and figure how many hours a week you really have (with a healthy lifestyle) to watch your DVDs. Most of the crap in many collections will never see past the cellophane stage. So having an interest in film has nothing to do with dust collecting. 'nuff said.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.