AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replace the Blue and Green Tubes on my NEC XG-750 projector, what does one do the the old tubes?. They have burns on them but not badly. Do people buy used tubes ??

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not sure why this post is in the Video Processors forum, but they can be revivied I believe. There is a company called VDC if I remember correctly which can "retube" tubes. You might try searching the CRT projectors forum. Curt Palme might be the right person to ask about this - he does a lot of CRT repair/reworking/etc. and would probably know.

-Jon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put it there by mistake, i could not delete it. But thanks for the info, I will search for more info on retubing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I do not think that projection CRT tubes are re-used. They are small enough that there is little or no cost savings in re-using them.

Long ago, the glass of large CRT's was re-used. The primary item that needed replacement was the electron gun in the neck. The phosphors were or were not re-poured in black and white tubes depending on condition. For color tubes burned phosphors or warped shadow masks forced the tubes to be discarded, since re-doing those components is an expensive proposition.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.