AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old home stereo system died and the only thing worth salvaging was the speakers. Each speaker has a pair of red and black wires. The wires come out of the speaker enclosure and terminate in bare wire. As you probably know, these are very simple wires, with no braiding or shielding or anything like that.

In order to connect these speakers to an amplifier or other home audio equipment I'll need to put connectors on the bare ends. My problem is that I've never soldered anything, and I'd rather not spend the time learning and practicing just for these speakers. I've seen descriptions of solder-less connectors. My first question is: Are there serious drawbacks to using solder-less connectors?

My last question is: what type of connector to use with these red and black wires? An RCA connector plugs into the largest variety of equipment, but the wires going into those connectors are a lot thicker than what I've got.

Did I mention that I'm no kind of expert at this?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
you wont need to put connectors on the ends. most receivers accept bare wire. I can tell you though, if the speakers are like that (with wire running straight into the box) I wouldn't expect much from their performance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed you are right (in both respects.) I did not realize that amplifiers and receivers accept bare wire as is or held inside round plastic connectors (they must have a proper name) that ship with the amp/receiver. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You can find speaker connectors at monoprice.com or amazon.com

I've used bare wire on spring jacks and whatever the round plastic knob connectors are called without issue, connectors can provide a more secure attachment though.

So if your worried about cabling detaching over time then you can buy some connectors but bare wire should be good for anything other than 1/4" (pro amps).

I can't comment on what to use because i always use bare speaker wire.

I've heard mention of Banana plugs for spring jacks.

Only use connectors that are specified for the job if you try to use rca signal connectors you might run into some molten results depending on output power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts