AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started thinking about this after posting to another thread. You know you can't brig yourself to watch them anymore- those bulky VHS tapes are just clutter on your shelves that has to move anyway to make room for more DVDs. What to do with them? Just pitch them and let them wind up in a landfill? That's not very PC... How about some ideas for uses for a dead medium:

1) pull out the tape and wrap Xmas presents with it. Use the empty plastic shells to construct a doghouse for Spot.

2) be a local prankster and "roll" your neighbors houses

3) donate tape to local churches to festoon the cars of newlyweds

4) throw a ticker-tape parade- pound the shells into little confetti bits and use tape for streamers

Any more??

Fred

·
Registered
62 Posts
As I replace the tapes with DVD's, I bring the tapes to my office and post them for sale on our bulletin board. I find there's a lot of people still watching them that haven't made the switch to DVD. I can usually get $3.00 to $5.00 for a used tape, which helps supplement the cost of the DVD.

Scott B)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Pull all the tape out, weave it into rope --- then use that to construct a raft to sail away with your friend Wilson.

- Rick

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos
Pull all the tape out, weave it into rope --- then use that to construct a raft to sail away with your friend Wilson.

- Rick
D'oh! Forgot that one :D

Fred

·
Registered
737 Posts
What I plan on doing is that when I replace my VHS tapes with DVDs, I'm gonna cover up the tab so I can record on it and use my computer, since I can disable macrovision, to play the DVD, and record that movie on the tape so it's LETTERBOX and not that Pan and Scan crap. That way, I can enjoy the movie in my bedroom where I only have a VCR.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Garrison
What I plan on doing is that when I replace my VHS tapes with DVDs, I'm gonna cover up the tab so I can record on it and use my computer, since I can disable macrovision, to play the DVD, and record that movie on the tape so it's LETTERBOX and not that Pan and Scan crap. That way, I can enjoy the movie in my bedroom where I only have a VCR.
Ken, you can get a "Kung-Fu" brand DVD player for the bedroom for, like, $60 now!! Is it worth the hassle to see that nasty 250 line quality?? :)

Fred

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well. On a 19 inch TV, hooked up with a coax cable, it really won't make that much different. I count how many dots were in an inch and multiplied that by the vertical size and I got about 250 lines anyway. So, I think TVs 19inches and under only have 250 lines while the bigger ones have 525. Did the some thing on my 25 Inch TV in the living room. Got around 525 lines. But, a DVD player in my bedroom WOULD be nice. I got one of those $60 Apexes in the living room.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I'd build a stone alter and then burn the tapes as the sacrafice of pagan fertility rituals.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nothing, Mine were all stolen in 1998. That's when I started to buy DVD's.

But I sure miss the one's that I filmed when child was growing up.

That's what really sucks!!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marthalamew0
I'd give them to bums in New York in exchange for crack.
Bad taste...

Michael

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Send them to me, I have a 6 year old that I still archive Rollie Pollie Ollie, Bear in the Big Blue House and PB & J Otter to.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy
I'd build a stone alter and then burn the tapes as the sacrafice of pagan fertility rituals.:)
Ding ding ding!! I always like the way you think :D (I suppose all your tapes are... ahh, skip it)

Fed

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
With the Christmas season upon us you can take the tape out of the case and hang it on a Christmas tree for a representation of Christmas past! Then hang DVD's on another tree for Christmas present and future (just think DVD-HD for future)!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Ding ding ding!! I always like the way you think :D (I suppose all your tapes are... ahh, skip it)

Fed
Fred, I hardly ever had any tapes. I got some tapes in '86 and disliked the format. I went LD back in '87. My collection of prerecorded VHS tapes never broke 20 and only broke 10 because of gifts, after '86 of course. I imagine I have some LD's for the fodder though...:) I more or less skipped the VHS format. Best wishes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We took all of ours to the local Children's hospital. Children and their parents spend many useless hours with nothing to do but wait. Having lived there with our daughter last year for 5 weeks at one point, believe me all kinds of movies are nice to have around.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I recently dealt with this also. A lot of mine were S-VHS tapes that I'd recorded stuff off of DirecTV, as well as a number of pre-recorded ones. I just took them up to the apartment laundromat, and put them on one of the shelves over on the far side, with a sign saying to take a few if you want them, but take more than a few each. They went in a day, so obviously someone still wants them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.