AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a fan of Panasonic's 720p line, starting with an ae500 in '04 to an ax200 in '08. Lamp is starting to go and I don't want to pay $400 on a projector that is no longer being made, and is showing early signs of a failing blue polarizer.

I've always been a fan of Panasonic's smooth screen technology. My questions are these...

1. Without smooth screen, but with the increased pixel count of 1080p, am I likely to notice a larger gap between pixels?

2. I sit about 12' away from an 88" screen, will I notice an increase in sharpness?

3. Probably the most important question. My last 2 Panasonic projectors started showing blue polarizer failure between 4 and 5,000 hours. I have been told that this is due to the organic panels. I know the Epson uses inorganic panels. I would like to get longer life from my projectors by simply replacing the lamp. Is it true that the inorganic panels should last longer?

Thanks,

EJ

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll just bump this once and see if anyone has advice, then I'll let it go. Can someone give observations from moving from any kind of 720p unit to the 8350?

Thanks,

EJ

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Night and day.

I have AX200 (still in use. Not for Cinema viewing anymore since my JVC HD350 took that over) and I saw and installed the Epson 8350 for someone and the difference is worth it. The performance you get for the price is incredible.

Don't procrastinate. Enjoy 1080p goodness right now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the same blue issue with my ax200 and due to my very close to the screen mounting position of a little under 11' found out the new 720p 3d ready models out now are not an option for me. I'm really interested in the Epson 8350 for the jump in pretty much all PQ. I have a 2.8 gain 106" High Power screen and am also considering the MitsHC4000. It's alot darker than the 8350 but there are some things that DLP users state which have my interest. Any additional comments regarding the OP's question and in my situation are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have an Epson 720 and at 85" 16:9 screen and at 9 feet, I didn't notice screen door. I do notice it at 11 feet and 135" 16:9 though. 1080 would be even better for 88" and 12' away as I wasn't seeing it with 720 and 9' away. It should look VERY sharp. Inorganic panels will last longer. I have a 720 with 4500 hours and the image looks brand new with a new bulb. I don't even think mine has the inorganic panels, so you will be doing better with the 8350.

I have not seen DLP, so cannot comment on it. I had to have the placement flexibility of the Epson at the time.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner /forum/post/19713539

I have an Epson 720 and at 85" 16:9 screen and at 9 feet, I didn't notice screen door. I do notice it at 11 feet and 135" 16:9 though. 1080 would be even better for 88" and 12' away as I wasn't seeing it with 720 and 9' away. It should look VERY sharp. Inorganic panels will last longer. I have a 720 with 4500 hours and the image looks brand new with a new bulb. I don't even think mine has the inorganic panels, so you will be doing better with the 8350.

I have not seen DLP, so cannot comment on it. I had to have the placement flexibility of the Epson at the time.

Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts