AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for something for my dad, who pretty much just wants something he can move around in the house and play cds, with option to ipod and possibly with Auxiliary input jack. He is sold by the Bose name, but i know better but i dont know of anything that does the same thing and provides quality playback. Please do not recommend a receiver with speakers or something that streams. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I've got the Wave clock radio and like it. I would never consider Bose for real speakers but they make a good radio, also, your dad (and his friends) will appreciate the Bose name.

I wonder if I'm in the minority on this one...

Ron

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
It really boils down to how tech-savvy your dad is. If he's using an ipod and has a wireless network, I usually recommend the Logitech Squeezebox Boom. Don't confuse it with its little brother, the Squeezebox Radio. I have 2 booms and 1 radio, and the booms absolutely destroy the radio in the sound department, and sticks to my network a lot better than the radio does. FWIW, I also have 2 Squeezebox Duets, and really do enjoy them all. Once they're configured with the computer network and a music library is designated, they're very easy to use.

Unless, that is, if your dad is anything like my parents. To give you an idea, my parents still use AOL dial-up...in the middle of Denver, CO. They hate change, and they hate technology. But they like music. They got a Bose Wave Radio, it sounds good, they can operate it, and they didn't mind paying the price for it. So for them, it's a perfect fit. Normally, I hate Bose as much as anyone here because of their price/performance ratio and marketing, but this is one area where the Bose Wave radio might be the perfect fit, if he wants to put physical CD's in vs. streaming.

Oh, crap...I just re-read your OP, and you DON'T want anything that streams. Rather than erase everything I just wrote, I'll just leave it that in this scenario, the Bose might actually be the best bet.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19633230

The recently discontinued Meridian F80 has been sighted for as little as $1000 and is both better sounding and better looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/19633468

Cambridge Soundworks has a radio that also could be considered.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com...B00345Y144.htm

Does it have a waveguide?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
The recently discontinued Meridian F80 has been sighted for as little as $1000 and is both better sounding and better looking.
Any ideas on where to look? The cheapest I've found is $1500 on ebay.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs
Any ideas on where to look? The cheapest I've found is $1500 on ebay.

Thanks.

Ron
Nope. Just heard about this from posts on Meridian Hitchhikers Forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the reply guys some of the ones mentioned here look great but a little out of the price range for me, the boston acoustic one seemed good but after reading reviews it appears theres like a gap between songs, going to order today i think i might end up going with bose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts