AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I don't have much to choose from in terms of local availability of 70 inch LCD (or LED) sets. This is important as I want to spend some time viewing the set in store before buying, not to mention the headaches and hassles of dealing with internet-based retailers or B&M retailers in another city if there are any issues with the set once I get it home, etc.

I'm upgrading from a 56 inch JVC DILA set that is showing signs of light engine failure and will also need a new bulb shortly.

The choices available to me are well...Sharp, Sharp, or Sharp LOL

Sharp LC-70LE640U

Sharp LC-70LE632UBD (Costco)

Sharp LC-70LE845U although this is really more than I would want to spend

Sharp LC-70LE847U also more than I'd want to spend

Sharp LC-70C6400U "FutureShop exclusive"

Viewing distance is about 10-12 feet, mainly bluray and HD satellite - I also do some gaming so input lag is a concern, and I tend to be fairly sensitive to other visual "quirks" with displays like screen door effect, DLP "rainbows", LCD blurring, etc. There is some ambient light in the room although I can control this quite well with the drapes I have, and almost all of the viewing positions are directly in line with the center/front of the screen so no extreme viewing angles involved either. I really don't care about 3D, and the home networking/internet stuff I do with the PS3 media server.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
the 632 is last year's model, is backllit but no local dimming, 120hz, most had a slight dimness in the corners noticeable almost only when displaying all-white or all light colored screen. These had the non-quatron panel and no 3D.

The numbers on the 640 and "future shop exclusive 6400" are so similar that they could very well be the same set. These are current models, switched from backlit to edge lit. Generally Sharp edge lit sets are better with regard to flashlighting/clouding than some other makes. Non-Quatron panel, no 3D, 120hz, built-in WiFi.

845/847 are also edge lit, have the Quatron panel and 240hz as well as 3D capability.

All have a fairly matte screen surface.

Reactions: BarryNS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so the 640 is likely to be the choice, with the 845 and 847 just a bit too costly right now - and I am always leery of "exclusive" to one retailer models, and especially with FutureShop as sometimes their customer service can be, well, shaky.

Are there any particular issues I should watch out for with the Sharp LC-70LE640U? What about input lag for gaming? I plan to spend some time with the set in the store recognizing there is only so much you can do to get a good feel for the set in-store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My local Costco's (South FL) have the 6400u. What is Futureshop? I was hoping to find the 632u at a deal but I think I missed out by a month or so as none of the locals have it.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Futureshop is a Canadian electronics chain owned by BB.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With regards to "flashlighting" what should I be looking for? Uneven brightness (darkness) in darker scenes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have done about a dozen 70"-80" sharps.

Its to big! pictures doesnt look as nice as a 65".

however it is very cool.

( with sharp the higher the number the better the TV)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNS  /t/1419557/what-to-get-limited-choices-for-a-70inch-set#post_22211071

With regards to "flashlighting" what should I be looking for? Uneven brightness (darkness) in darker scenes?

You probably won't see it in a store setting unless the lighting conditions are low which is why it blows because you don't see it until you get it home. It appears as a patch of bright light where the bezel meets the screen.

My advice is try to find something at Costco you like...nice return policy and a longer warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth89  /t/1419557/what-to-get-limited-choices-for-a-70inch-set#post_22211084

i have done about a dozen 70"-80" sharps.

Its to big! pictures doesnt look as nice as a 65".

however it is very cool.

( with sharp the higher the number the better the TV)

Seth,

It sounds like you are sour on the lower end Sharp 70 inchers - 640u/6400u. Can you be specific to the differences and what you have "done". As for the 65's, I'm also considering the LG 65LM6200 which is in the same price range as the Sharp 70" 640u. Do you have experience with that LG?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we can add another Sharp to the list of candidates - dropped in to Costco today and see a clearance special on the Sharp LC70-LE633U. I can't find an "official thread" on this set, but it seems these sets are more likely to have some flashlighting, uneven brightness in the corners/edges, etc?

I am starting to wonder if maybe I can expand my selection a bit by considering a 65 inch set. Basically I know I want to go bigger than the 56 I have had for years now, so 65 is probably a "big enough" jump if it helps broaden my possible choices/selections versus just focussing on the 70's.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
In the 65 inch size, it's hard to beat the panasonic 65ST50. Avoids the nonuniformity issues (flashlighting, clouding) found in the edge lit LED's. If I needed a 65, it's what I'd have bought, but I needed a 70.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNS  /t/1419557/what-to-get-limited-choices-for-a-70inch-set/0_100#post_22215216

Well we can add another Sharp to the list of candidates - dropped in to Costco today and see a clearance special on the Sharp LC70-LE633U. I can't find an "official thread" on this set, but it seems these sets are more likely to have some flash lighting, uneven brightness in the corners/edges, etc?

Actually the 63* sets don't have the same uniformity and flash lighting issues as other sets - instead they have slightly darker corners.

All of the Sharp *3* sets (ie 632, 633, 732, 735, 832, 835, etc) are all Full-Array and not Edge-Lit which is the reason for the difference is complaints.

However keep in mind these Full-Array sets also do not have local dimming so they are not similar to the current top end Full-Array sets like the Sharp Elites, soon to be Sharp 945s, and the Sony HX929s.

At the same time I'd class them as a few steps above the technology used in the Samsung EH6000 Direct-Lit which isn't even an array but a strip of LED lights behind the panel and also does not have local dimming.

If I had to give a PQ ranking of back lighting technology for LCDs it would follow as:

1) Full-Array with Local Dimming

2) Full-Array without Local Dimming

3) Edge-Lit with Local Dimming

4) Direct-Lit (No Local Dimming possible)

5) Edge-Lit without Local Dimming

Full-Array with local dimming obviously provides for the best uniformity and dynamic contrast within a scene.

Full-Array without local dimming still provides for excellent light distribution and uniformity with a loss in dynamic contrast.

Edge-Lit with Local Dimming and Direct Lit are bit a of tie in my eyes as the usage of local dimming on some Edge-Lit sets goes a long way to improving uniformity issues like flash lighting and clouding.

While Edge-Lit without local dimming is obviously the most problematic from a picture quality stand point.

Finally, as for an owners thread for the Sharp 63* sets here its is: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1363281/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le632u-owners-thread

Its common practice to modify the model number slightly between retail outlets to prevent price matching - most manufacturers do this for places like Best Buy, Amazon, Costco, Sam's, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime-540  /t/1419557/what-to-get-limited-choices-for-a-70inch-set#post_22212872

Seth,

It sounds like you are sour on the lower end Sharp 70 inchers - 640u/6400u. Can you be specific to the differences and what you have "done". As for the 65's, I'm also considering the LG 65LM6200 which is in the same price range as the Sharp 70" 640u. Do you have experience with that LG?

I dont have the model number off hand for the 70" sharps but i know its the better of the bunch. I just notice that when watching a movie on BluRay (1080p) or HD cable (1080i) you get what almost looks like some pixelization but larger. However when watching a animated film like puss in boots or any dreamworks/pixar film you dont see it. OR, it could just be me.

my statement about 65" tvs was lacking detail. I really like the Samsung 8000 Series LED tvs. They even look better them plasma tv sets. I have experience with Fujitsu plasma vision, NEC, Pioneer Elite (plasma not the new LED), NuVision, Sharp, & Samsung and the best TV out of all of them is the Samsung.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts