AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, basically I'm looking to get a 5.1 speaker system for around $500 or so, but I'm not sure what is more important and what I should be looking for. It's for a regular sized living room. Whats more important, dB sensitivity? Wattage? What effect does ohmage have on the quality of the sound? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ohmage is just the amount of resistance. The lower the ohmage then the higher the wattage. In other words as you lower ohmage a given wattage will increase. Generally, you have 8 ohms for home audio and 4 ohms for car audio. If your home receiver cannot handle the lower ohm speakers, which many cannot, just stick to regular 8 ohm speakers. If you put 4 ohm speakers on a receiver only handling 8 ohms, then you are liable to fry your receiver.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Whats more important, dB sensitivity? Wattage?
None. :D

Seriously, try to listen to them as much as possible before you decide. Speaker specs usually mean very little for a buyer (except for the ohm spec, as explained above; most "budget" home speakers are rated 8 ohm anyway). What you should really rely on is your ears. There are huge differences in sound quality, even among various inexpensive speaker sets.

That said, if I "look" for one thing, it would be the size of the cabinets. Usually, the larger the better. Small speakers tend to sound, well, "small"...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cookus
Whats more important, dB sensitivity? Wattage?
None of the above...

sound quality and to a lesser degree good looks....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.