AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running my projector (BenQ 6200) just fine through a cheap-ish VGA cable and it looks pretty good (Since I'm just getting started, I hadn't really seen better). As I was playing a heavy contrast game (n, from metanet) over the projector, I noticed a lot of ghosting. (Since I've seen that word used different ways, I am not referring to the motion ghosting. Instead, when a dark object is next to a lighter object, you can see the darker object repeated over three or four times).

Currently I have this:

PC > KVM > VGA Booster >50'> Projector

I've tried removing each component to see if the ghosting was caused by either too m any connections or just poor connections, but nothing seems to work. That makes me think it is the cheap VGA cable I am using.

I don't have a ton of money to spend on this, so I am willing to do some digging to find something good and cheap. My question, though, is what do you look for? I actually found this Tripp Lite cable for a good price, and the marketing sounds pretty good. That just made me realize all the more that I need to find out exactly what to look for to minimze the interference or whatever is causing my problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

nate

·
Registered
540 Posts
A cheap VGA cable over 50 feet ?

That is way to long for not to suffer image quality degradation. :eek:

You need a very high quality VGA cable to cover such distances unpunished.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. I just searched my email for the shipping confirmation (you've gotta love Spotlight) and I apparently only purchased a 30' cable. If that one works, I can get away with a 25'er which seems to be a fairly standard size.

At 25' can I get away with something less than "very high quality" or am I just shooting myself in the foot with my cheapness?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Go Here and be amazed.... I was !!!! Mine works GREAT!!!! Follow the link the AVS thread.... lot's of reading and info....

:cool:

·
Registered
913 Posts
i'm definitely NOT a "high quality" cable kind of guy.

i got a 50' VGA cable from pccables.com for about $25.00, i run a 17" lcd monitor at max resolution, and i can watch movies on it just fine at the same time the movie is being displayed on the main screen (i run dual output from a radeon x700 pro).

the image is flawless as far as i can tell.

try a new cable from them...the worst scenario is your out $25.00.

component is also good out to 50'.

who ever claimed vga wouldn't work well at 50 feet isn't right....it can work just fine.

i'd try this before spending big bucks on a "quality" cable. the one i got from pccables appeared very robust.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
nate,

I used to be a skeptic, but I believe with video interconnect, you get what you pay for. If you budget will afford good belden/canare video cabling, go for it:

Examples:
http://www.bettercables.com/vgahdmatohdm.html
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hd15prices.htm

I have an htpc video source, and use dual video out, one to an LCD monitor for daily work, and a CRT PJ for viewing movies. I originally used stock video cables, but later saved up and bought used pro-grade interconnect. Even with LCD, better cable that handles higher bandwidth signal (i.e. video at max resolution and HD refresh rates) show a noticable difference.

The day I got my cables, I swapped only the cables, and left all other components/settings as-is. I instantly noticed blacker blacks, and clearer computer text, even on the digital LCD.

If you don't believe, try before you buy with a vendor with a return policy, and you will only be out shipping + restocking fee.

It's worth it, if you're interested in optimizing picture quality.

Have fun!

- Steve O.

·
Registered
433 Posts
VGA can easily go 50' without image degradation.

Try cablewholesale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
A cheap VGA cable over 50 feet ?

That is way to long for not to suffer image quality degradation. :eek:

You need a very high quality VGA cable to cover such distances unpunished.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite
Go Here and be amazed.... I was !!!! Mine works GREAT!!!! Follow the link the AVS thread.... lot's of reading and info....
Hah! You've obviously never met me before. My wife and friends don't tend to let me around allen wrenches let alone soldering kits. I am not handy.

Regardless it is a cool idea. It make me wonder why more things don't use the RJ-45 connector...?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123
I used to be a skeptic, but I believe with video interconnect, you get what you pay for.
Steve -

I don't doubt you get what you pay for in most things. Regardless, I can not afford (now) that kind of money period, for a cable or other.

And really, I don't want to cheap out. What is the point of having all of this very expensive equipment if the cable you use to connect is garbage? However, I would like a "value" peice, a brand no one has heard of, etc.

Lots of good links in here, Thanks!

Nate

·
Registered
437 Posts
2 words for you, "Calrad Cables"...

Go to www.calrad.com and go to their catalog. You are looking for item 55-614-HDTV, 55-612-HDTV, or 55-614P-EI-HD.

I don't know exactly what you want, if you are doing a behind the wall connection to a plate or a straight connection or an extension. The "P-EI" are plenium (so in-wall legal) for a connection to a plate. The 612 I believe is a VGA extension cable, the 614 is a regular VGA cable. Go look at their online distributers to buy them. I have used "AE - Associates", http://www.ae4electronicparts.com/Calrad-Main.htm , for my source personally before. I believe www.westlake-electronic.com (an authorized dealer) has the 50' versions for $48, and 25' for $28...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.