AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 2 channel setup in my office with the sole intent of using it to listen to music from a turntable.

I am considering building a stand/audio pier for my amp and turntable and I am wondering what features or traits are desirable (if any) specifically for holding these two pieces of equipment?

I have looked around the web and seen audio piers (and the like) range from $200 to well over $1000 and anywhere in size from 4+ shelves to just a platform that sits just 6" or so off the floor.

So what are some of the features in terms of size, materials, etc that are considered ideal for my application?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
You want to make sure the turntable does not pick up stray vibrations. If your floor is solid, and doesn't vibrate, a relatively heavy sturdy rack will work fine. If you floor vibrates you might be better off not using a traditional rack. If your on the top floor you could suspend the table from the ceiling. I've used both methods with good results. In my current house neither worked well, so instead I mounted it on a solid shelf on a load bearing wall. It usually helps to have the turntable sitting on something heavy to reduce movement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/18181477

You want to make sure the turntable does not pick up stray vibrations. If your floor is solid, and doesn't vibrate, a relatively heavy sturdy rack will work fine. If you floor vibrates you might be better off not using a traditional rack. If your on the top floor you could suspend the table from the ceiling. I've used both methods with good results. In my current house neither worked well, so instead I mounted it on a solid shelf on a load bearing wall. It usually helps to have the turntable sitting on something heavy to reduce movement.

We are in a condo so in theory the ceiling could shake. So if it has to be on a stand then it's better off being shorter rather than taller (to reduce vibration) and I am better off (if I build something) to use heavier woods as opposed to metal and glass? I'd rather not put large holes in a brand new wall...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'd put the turntable at a convenient height. I'd use a heavy stand. You don't need big holes - 4 holes for screws into the studs will do it. As long as your floor does not vibrate when you walk around you should be fine with a stand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
30" W X 30" D X 42" H polished granite block. Blutack the entire turntable base to the top of the granite block. I like the look of Mocha Vyara granite from India. The stone has a lot of "movement".

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Lots of inert mass, and sand is best for that. Here's a link to the TNT DIY version which is fine for modest weight TT's. However, one important mod to add are 'keels' for the top plate. On the underside of the top plate add fins that extend a good percentage of the depth. The will make it more stable as your TT will undoubtedly not be balanced in it's weigh distribution and the top plates can sometimes become un-level.

If you are going to build a stand and you floor is suspended wood, build the width so that is sits directly onto the joists. Concrete floors don't seem to matter, but irrespective of floor, place close to the wall.

Been building TT supports this way for many years, and have not had footfall or FB issues with either suspended or non suspended TT's, but I admit I prefer lots off mass in the base of the support too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A sturdy rack is essential. Mine has a heavy maple block as a base, then I use a Ginko Audio Cloud 9 isolation platform on top of that. Works like a charm for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts