Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many post lately are asking "What is the best amp to buy?"

Many replys are of course throwing out many of the top rated manufactures i.e. Bryston, Anthem, B&K, Lexicon and Rotel.

I am purchasing an Anthem AVM-20, My question is of course the easy way to go is to by one of the 2 Anthem amps available for the 5 channel needs I have.

But what makes one amp better than the other. What are/is the items to focus on when looking at amps (price of course is a factor but not in the equation here.. amp features are)?

For examples why stick with an anthem amp and not go with a Bryston?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
(1) Power supply

(2) Amplfier design (class A, B, AB, D...)

(3) Power supply

(4) Price

(5) Specs (impedance capabilities, output power, frequency response, sensitivity, distortion...)

(6) Features (balanced connections, rumble filter, fan or no fan, etc...)

And if it comes down to two similar amplfiers... power supply. :) OK, maybe I'm being a bit simplistic, but isn't it nice to have simple rules to follow sometimes?

·
Registered
251 Posts
"For examples why stick with an anthem amp and not go with a Bryston?"

Either one of these will probably work great, and you probably will not be able to tell the difference in the sound. Bigus is correct, that the power supply is quite important, and I would also stress price. You can get a Bryston pretty cheap used, which is a great strategy since they have a 20 year warranty (full disclosure - that is exactly what I did).

Tim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bingus thanks, just to clear it up alittle

Anyone chime in

1. When you say Power supply - what do you mean? (weight, size, volts?)

2. Class? What is A B C....

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
As a practical matter, one thing you will probably want in a HT amp is a turn-on trigger input, which most multichannel amps have these days, although the Bryston connector is a little tricky. Another feature of some value to you because of the Anthem is balanced inputs, which could come in handy, or not, depending on your setup.

Dsmith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.