AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up a 32" used Samsung LCD (450) for my work out room in the basement or possibly use it in my 3 year old's room. So no "critical" viewing, though I'm a bit of an audio/video addict.

Have never bought a used TV before, and am a plasma owner so not sure what to look for with a used LCD?

The guy mentioned "only" using it for Xbox 360, so I imagine there are a lot of hours on it.

Would image retention be a possible issue with a used LCD used in this manner? I know LCD's supposedly do not suffer from burn in, but I thought I've read issues about IR and possible burn in with abusive use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If it has image retention, you will be able to see it when you check out the tv. If you are buying sight unseen, don't do it. I'd have to ask myself why the person would be selling it if its in real good shape. So many clearance sales going on all over the online sites on 2009 models, I'd go for new with a warranty. Places I like, Amazon and Vanns.com.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll be able to take a look. With TV's I buy new pretty much all the time, but figured for a spare set if I could get it for less than half price (couple hundred in here Canada) that's decent for what it will be used for.

I assume the light output of LCD's starts to wear/decrease over time as well?

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18271351

I think I'll be able to take a look. With TV's I buy new pretty much all the time, but figured for a spare set if I could get it for less than half price (couple hundred in here Canada) that's decent for what it will be used for.

I assume the light output of LCD's starts to wear/decrease over time as well?

Yes, the light output falls to half brightness over time, but typically that takes 10's of thousands of hours.

There may be a way for the set to show you how many hours it has on it, I know some have that capability.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's probably just in the Samsung service menu which I imagine is easy to get into (similar to my Sammy Plasma of the same year).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts