AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first home theater system and keep receiving different opinions for the receiver. Crutchfield has a great deal on the Onkyo TX-NR838 and the Denon AVR-X4000. I was leaning towards the Onkyo because I have an 4k HDTV which has the HDCP 2.2 input and it seems most receivers do not. The question is, do I let that sway my decision automatically to purchasing the Onkyo, or should this feature not matter.

I'm curious on everyones opinions, sound quality, reliability, and the HDCP 2.2 concern. I'm also looking to pair whichever receiver, with the definitive technology pro 800 series speakers.

Any recommendations or opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Amazon has the 838 for $700 and the x4000 at $850. Except for the hdcp 2.2 the denon
is better in most ways. You would have to buy the x4200 to get the same or better 4k
compatibility. If these prices are legit I would pick the Onkyo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon has the 838 for $700 and the x4000 at $850. Except for the hdcp 2.2 the denon
is better in most ways. You would have to buy the x4200 to get the same or better 4k
compatibility. If these prices are legit I would pick the Onkyo.

@kikkenit2 You thinkt he HDCP 2.2 is that important ? I was just worried this feature is being talked about now but won't come into play for a few years out if at all. Based on multiple AVS forum posts it seems the Denon is the better receiver besides lacking this input.

Think I will notice the difference in sound quality between the two?

I'm having a hard time choosing the Onkyo after so my positive reviews for the Denon.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
For most people I say buy last years models and upgrade one or two levels. Once a 4k tv
is present shuffle the deck. Hdcp 2.2 is important. And a brand new denon x4200 is oh
so expensive. The 4k audio workaround. Avoid passing audio through tv and generating
audio from tv apps/streaming. Neither hdmi arc or toslink digital audio are going to pass
the best 7.1 lossless audio. It probably will be 5.1 though. Depends on the tv.

With an older receiver playing a 4k disk will require dual hdmi out or connect player to
tv and pass audio through tv. With a newer 4k compliant receiver all video (except tv
streaming) will pass through receiver and the best audio is available. TV generated a/v
will probably never be 7.1 lossless back to stereo.

As far as what receiver sounds best. Give me a good source and good speaker set and
good sound will soon follow. Too close to call for me. Connections, functions, operating
ability, power, compatibility, price and reliability are what I dwell on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For most people I say buy last years models and upgrade one or two levels. One a 4k tv
is present shuffle the deck. Hdcp 2.2 is important. And a brand new denon x4200 is oh
so expensive. The 4k audio workaround. Avoid passing audio through tv and generating
audio from tv apps/streaming. Neither hdmi arc or toslink digital audio are going to pass

With an older receiver playing a 4k disk will require dual hdmi out or connect player to
tv and pass audio through tv. With a newer 4k compliant receiver all video (except tv
streaming) will pass through receiver and the best audio is available. TV generated a/v

As far as what receiver sounds best. Give me a good source and good speaker set and
good sound will soon follow. Too close to call for me. Connections, functions, operating
The Denon x4200 is very expensive and way beyond my budget. In the $500-$900 range it seems the Onkyo is the best buy especially since the HDCP 2.2 is that important. Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and make the purchase at crutchfield since they have a packaged deal including the definitive technology speakers. Still hung up over the fact I'm not purchasing a Denon or Marantz but there doesn't seem to be any comparable options.

·
Premium Member
92,607 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first home theater system and keep receiving different opinions for the receiver. Crutchfield has a great deal on the Onkyo TX-NR838 and the Denon AVR-X4000. I was leaning towards the Onkyo because I have an 4k HDTV which has the HDCP 2.2 input and it seems most receivers do not. The question is, do I let that sway my decision automatically to purchasing the Onkyo, or should this feature not matter.

I'm curious on everyones opinions, sound quality, reliability, and the HDCP 2.2 concern. I'm also looking to pair whichever receiver, with the definitive technology pro 800 series speakers.

Any recommendations or opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
For the better audio quality, the Denon X4000W is the clear choice as it uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32 while the 838 uses AccuEQ which doesn't even EQ the Front L/R speakers or the subwoofer. When you purchase an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 Blu Ray player later this fall, simply purchase one with dual HDMI outputs so you can pass the HDCP 2.2 video to the TV and the HD audio to the X4000. Otherwise, until HDCP 2.2 UHD BD's are released, you can still pass 1080p and 4k/24/30fps video through the X4000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For most people I say buy last years models and upgrade one or two levels. Once a 4k tv

Ok so after both your posts I've read more forums and think I've updated the choices.

I think the HDCP 2.2 is extremely important in my situation as I have a 4K TV with the HDCP 2.2 port on the back.

The issue is then what is a better value for my first receiver.

1.) The Onkyo TX-NR838 (last year model) which is retailing at $699 and I'll pair for now with the definitive technology procinema 800 series (will upgrade speakers most likely in 3 years to bookshelf or tower combo)

2.) The Denon AVR-X2200W (latest model) has HDCP but significantly less features and power than the Onkyo. I'll also pair these with the procinema 800 series listed above.

3.) Chance waiting for the AVR-X3200W or AVR-X4200W hoping they are available for purchase by August 1st as there is a deal on the definitive technology speakers which expires August 1st.

Please provide opinions, advice, preferences etc. All this research is confusing me. I just want a great quality receiver that I can have for the next 5 years, great sound, power, clarity etc. The receiver is the HUB of the HT system, I realize how important it is and your opinions are greatly appreciated. I also apologize there are no links, I'm a "newbie" and only have 3 posts and haven't hit the 5 quota yet.

Thanks,
JP

·
Premium Member
92,607 Posts
^^
1. 838 only has HDCP 2.2 on (1) HDMI input and then only at the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth of 10.2Ghz and not the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of 18Ghz. X2200W has HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI inputs and all at full HDMI 2.0 18Ghz video bandwidth.
2. The 838 is more comparable to the X3100W so would be expected to have more features than the X2200W. Decide whether you need them or not. Power difference will be negligible, especially with those speakers where average draw

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
This is a tough time to buy a receiver. Not so much for sound quality. They all sound pretty
good at this level. Compatibility is the biggest issue. And the varying levels of such.
A lot of desirable product is not even out yet. Call JD and see what he has to offer.
No pressure to buy. Especially from me. All the good deals don't have 2.2 so i'm neutral.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts