AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I am a CRT Rear Projection owner.

I am looking at purchasing a new Television for the Den.

What would a videophile recommend being a CRT is a thing of the past, Plasma seems to be on its last leg etc.

This Television will be at least 58 inches. I can go much bigger but this means a DLP? I do not think a projector is feasible for this application.

Which DLP gives the deepest Blacks and overall best picture?

Its really expensive for me to get a Professional calibration because I live no where near a big city.

My only calibration cost me $770 but I had a CRT RP Full Cal$625 and the PCB-CRT Mod $145.

My Budget is around $5000 max.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The only maker left for DLPs is Mitsubishi, and they have only a few models, so you can choose easily if that is the way you want to go.

Otherwise, for large sizes, LCD is not being made in sizes larger than 55" unless you want to spend in the $10,000 range.

So it's a Mits DLP or a Plasma, or it's waiting a few years and maybe LCDs will be offered in larger sizes at more reasonable prices.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/17025937

The only maker left for DLPs is Mitsubishi, and they have only a few models, so you can choose easily if that is the way you want to go.

Otherwise, for large sizes, LCD is not being made in sizes larger than 55" unless you want to spend in the $10,000 range.

So it's a Mits DLP or a Plasma, or it's waiting a few years and maybe LCDs will be offered in larger sizes at more reasonable prices.

Mitz Diamond wd-65837 or last years wd-65835 can be found in the sub $2K range and deliver great blacks and excellent PQ. my WD-65831 is 2+ yrs old and still going strong. I have no purchase limitations and I choose to stay with the Mitz DLP. Take a look and see what you think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts