AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm NOT planning on putting fabric on the walls. It's going to be drywall on the ceilings, rear and side walls. I will have 6 columns (2 in rear, 2 on each side wall). Raised platform will hold couch, love seat will sit in front of platform. I will also be constructing some decorative, fabric covered foam frames for the walls to cut down the echos. Room is 15'x20'.

Setup:

Denon 3802

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 5's

Center: Paradigm CC-270

Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170's

Back: Paradigm Atom's

Sub: Paradigm PS1200

I will be building a (4-6)", sand filled stage with radius front. Currently, I will be using a 53" RPTV. My plan was to use 2x4 framing around the TV and speakers. This whole thing would then be wrapped in black fabric.

My question is should I use drywall or TheaterShield for the front wall?

If TheaterShield is used would I also cover the framing with it as well and then covered with fabric?

I was planning on making the framing very minimal so the speakers and TV are not boxed in with tons of wood or TS. I basically just want to conceal them with the fabric and use the minimal amount of 2x4's to hold the fabric, but obviously I want it to sound really good.

Would this work and sound good or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Topaz

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by topaz
First off, I'm NOT planning on putting fabric on the walls. It's going to be drywall on the ceilings, rear and side walls. I will have 6 columns (2 in rear, 2 on each side wall). Raised platform will hold couch, love seat will sit in front of platform. I will also be constructing some decorative, fabric covered foam frames for the walls to cut down the echos. Room is 15'x20'.

Setup:

Denon 3802

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 5's

Center: Paradigm CC-270

Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170's

Back: Paradigm Atom's

Sub: Paradigm PS1200

I will be building a (4-6)", sand filled stage with radius front. Currently, I will be using a 53" RPTV. My plan was to use 2x4 framing around the TV and speakers. This whole thing would then be wrapped in black fabric.

My question is should I use drywall or TheaterShield for the front wall?

If TheaterShield is used would I also cover the framing with it as well and then covered with fabric?

I was planning on making the framing very minimal so the speakers and TV are not boxed in with tons of wood or TS. I basically just want to conceal them with the fabric and use the minimal amount of 2x4's to hold the fabric, but obviously I want it to sound really good.

Would this work and sound good or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Topaz
Topaz,

I like your setup. I too have the Denon 3802, Paradigm Mon 7's, APD-170's, CC-350 and the PS-1000 sub. I plan on getting a pair of Atom's for the rear.

I have an FP setup, and will cover my entire front wall with Insul-Shield and then with GOM FR701 Series 2100 Color 408 Black fabric.

If I understand your setup, you are attempting to frame in around your RPTV so that the front of the TV is flush with your framing/false wall. I would do as you suggested, framing with 2x4" and creating a false wall that the TV and your speakers sit in. You would then drywall this, attach furring strips, staple Insul-Shield onto the drywall and between the furring, and then cover with fabric, using the furring strips to staple the fabric onto. Finally, you would cover the staples with some type of trim molding (chair, baseboard, etc.)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,

The framing/false wall is exactly what I'm trying to do. However, are you saying drywall the framing for the false wall AND the drywall the framing for the actual wall behind the tv and then Insul-Shield onto both drywall sections?

I was thinking the Insul-Shield or TS would go just over the drywall on actual wall behind the TV. I was hoping to leave the false wall to be just the members of the 2x4s, nothing else. And then just wrapping the whole thing with fabric: Attaching the fabric at the right side and pulled over tightly and attached to the left side. Of course, I would staple the fabric on the rectangle framing around the TV and molding over this.

Am I going to run into a problem with the size of the fabric?

I'm thinking 5 1/2 feet tall would be the size of the false wall framing (the top 2 feet or so would just a drywalled soffit matching the below stage + 1/2' for the stage). The width would be about 11 or so feet wide. Can I get the fabric in a 5.5'x11' section?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The GOM FR701 comes in 66" widths...That should fit your 5'5" requirement with a whole inch to spare!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
As for stretching the fabric over the 2x4" members.....

I don't know. The FR701 fabric is a pretty tight weave, but with nothing backing it, you might get some light bleed through. Hopefully someone who has actually installed this stuff will chime in. I'm only recounting information gleaned from months of reading.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone else try this? Anyone object to this approach? Any opinions on where the drywall and/or TS should be placed.

Thanks again,

Topaz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.