AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have owned an excellent 5.1 set up from Energy for about 3 years now. Prior to this I owned a decent (for the time) HTIB Sony system. The HTIB could not even compete with the Energy C-50 and I was amazed what sounds could come out of speakers after I purchased them. I have C-50's as fronts and surrounds, (will never need 7.1), and a CC-10 in center and their 8" subwoofer. I have a terrible room for home theater but its all I'll have for a few years. 3 walls and a large doorway into the dining room probably do not help sound wise but I hope to eventually move up to a MultiEq XT setup.

Anyway my question is what would be my best bet in buying 2 speakers to replace my front speakers? I love my setup now but I know these are not exactly top notch and I can imagine better. I have been reading up on the Energy Veritas line like the V5.1 bookshelf. I need to keep it bookshelf cause of size of my den and the wife would kill me if they didn't fit the room (I'll agree with her on aesthetics, I like our setup now.)

I recently got a full time job after college and have some spending money. I want to know what you guys would recommend for me for replacing my front 2 speakers. I will keep the energy center for now cause I like to buy in parts. I'd rather spend $500 on two speakers now instead of a collection of speakers and also cause I listen to alot of music in stereo.

Three bookshelves I've looked into:

Energy Veritas V-5.1

HSU HB-1

M3 v3 or M22 v3 Axiom's

Or just cause I can demo these probably and because they are beautiful:

B&W 685 or 686

I know these may not be equals but what can I expect over my own speakers. Unfortunately the C-50's are hard to find online so I cant find many comparisons. Its easy finding comparisons with Energy's Take Classic 5 but that doesnt help too much.

I'd like to say for 2 speakers my budget is $500 but I dont want to under sell myself. If I can get ALOT better for a little more I can move up in price but only if it warrants it.

I should mention I have a Sony 7.1 HDMI receiver (not the one I purchase years ago with aforementioned HTIB) that seems to do a great job. I know its not the greatest but it gets me the LPCM/uncompressed audio to me easily and I would rather spend the $ on speakers.

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Keep in mind you'll need to eventually upgrade your center, too. For HT usage, it's important to have a matching front sound stage, either three of the same speaker across the front or the matching center from the same speaker line is optimal. So even with the Energy V5.1s, you'd need an Energy Veritas 5.2C. Might be hard to get both since they are now out of production and sold out almost everywhere.

You might also consider the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE . Here's my comparison with the Energy V5.1s .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts