AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone recomends to clean the fingerprints, dust etc off electronics?

I have a Pioneer elite reciever, with that gloss black finish, as well as a Silverstone HTPC case (brushed aluminum anodized), as well as your common source components. I found a cleaner but it says not to use it on clear plastic, or it will cause a haze. I don't want that!

I use a soft microfiber cloth to clean the dust etc but how do you remove those fingerprints, grime etc without "scrubbing" and scratching my gear....so what do you all recomend?

Thanks

· Registered
1,896 Posts
There is a windex that is made for use on plexiglas and it should work fine. It will say "safe for plexiglas". Regular windex can cause a haze on plexiglas so it should not be used.

..Doyle

· Registered
1,104 Posts
I haven't seen it in a while, but I still have a can of Endust for Electronics. It claims to be safe for computers, TVs, stereos, yadda, yadda. Otherwise, I'd go with AcuraCL's suggestion. If you're a real A/V nut-case like me, you might want to use distilled water, and once clean, keep a pair of white cotton gloves handy when you press the buttons. :D

· Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bondmanp
I haven't seen it in a while, but I still have a can of Endust for Electronics. It claims to be safe for computers, TVs, stereos, yadda, yadda. Otherwise, I'd go with AcuraCL's suggestion. If you're a real A/V nut-case like me, you might want to use distilled water, and once clean, keep a pair of white cotton gloves handy when you press the buttons. :D

I use this stuff regularly and have for several years. I use to buy it in grocery stores but now find it in electronic stores like Fry's Electronics. It does a creat job and part of its benefit is the reduction of static which attracts dust.

· Registered
7,822 Posts
Personally, I use Guiness Extra Stout.

Foamy. Pleasant smell. Really adds depth to the black and covers those distracting logos and labels that I can't read anyway. Keeps the cleaning person happy too.

A little for the gear. A little for me. A little for the gear. A little for me. A little more for me. etc... Kinda like Graham Kerr in his prime.

· Registered
303 Posts
What is good to use to clean my Yamaha NS-777's? Thay have a piano black finish, and all I've been using is a Swiffer duster, but I need to wip them down with something after having them for quite a while now.

· Registered
113 Posts
Pledge won't damage either the plexy glass or paint. Also gives a good shine. I use it on my Parasound HCA 3500 while it's hot, and it does run hot, and it does not stain. Also on my Audio Research preamp. When I'm done I use it on my speakers too. Do Not spray anything onto the electronics though, just the rag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.