AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a quick question... what and where can I get a unit or hardware to burn copy protected (macrovision) dvds with my pioneer 531hs ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Since I'm sure you are copying DVD's you own in order to back them up, then you may want to search on the term "macrovision" in this forum to see suggestions on external hardware you can legally (for now) purchase to facilitate this process. The Sima CT-2/CT-200 widely available at stores such as Best Buy is an example of such a device. If you don't own the DVD's you are copying then further discussion on THAT topic is against forum rules.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, vfarrari I'll do a search like you suggested .

Healeyguy ...if I got the sima would I then be able to copy the dvd with my pioneer 331 ?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwain
Thank you, vfarrari I'll do a search like you suggested .

Healeyguy ...if I got the sima would I then be able to copy the dvd with my pioneer 331 ?
I don't know. If you said you wanted something that could remove Macrovision from VHS then there are various solutions. But I have no personal knowledge of what can remove the copy protection from DVDs that works with the Pioneer recorders. Typically, people do this with DVD rippers on their computers.

Addendum: thanks to the others who have posted here, I can see that I'm mistaking the dubbing of a DVD from a DVD player to a recorder (which can be done with the help of the suggested devices) with duplicating a copy-protected DVD. So just disregard my naysaying and folllow the advice of others.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I just got my daughter the Sima CT-2 for her Panasonic E-55 & Panasonic was supposed to be one of the recorders that was hard to get around the "CGMS" & the CT-2 works fine with it.

My daughter just copied "Shreck 2" for use in her Car & Laptop & even though it's been reported that the Sima's have the black level bug in them my daughter hasn't see it yet but maybe it will pop up in other movies?

Do a search on them & you should come up with info on her's & etc.

If you want to make copies though with "All" the Menus, Special Features, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound & Etc the only way to do that is with Computer Programs.

The Sima's only let you copy whatever you are playing to the recorder just as if you were copying a Video Tape, which the Sima's will also let you do :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a dvd player that says it was updated with the latest firmware that makes it region free and macrovision free and I was wondering if I could use that to back up my copy writed dvds with my 531 pioneer ? Also will my pioneer 531 record the 5.1 surround sound if I play it thru this ?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You will probably be able to use such a player but since all DVD recorders only provide 2-channel stereo inputs, there is no way you can record in 5.1 surround sound whenever you do such a DVD player-to-recorder analog dub. Many of these so called region free/macrovision free players are typically cheaper off-brands and sometimes have marginal playback quality (all players are not created equal when it comes to PQ) so YMMV . That's why people suggest backing up your DVD collection using a computer vs. an analog dub since it preserves all the features (sound and menus) plus a PC backup is usually of better visual quality since you often do not have to re-encode the original video.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All right, vferrari... you win : )

I was trying to avoid the computer but you convinced me . I just didn't want to hear my wife complain about me downloading software on the computer because whenever theirs a problem with the computer she'll blame it on me . Well what I have is a dell demention 2400 so I guess I will need a burner . Any recomendations ? (external would be nice) Also where would I get the software to burn the dvd ? last but not least how much can I expect to pay for everything I need ?

Thanks for all the help I've getting !

Dwain

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Go to videohelp.com for a rundown on software and hardware. You can get just about any internal DVD Burner out there for less than $100, external models will run you about $50 more (Plextor is highly recommended). Staples has a Pacific Digital 16X Dual Layer drive on sale for $60 internal/$90 external. For backing up DVD's two FREEWARE downloadable programs are recommended: DVD Decrypter for transferring an image of the contents of the DVD to your HDD and for burning that image to another disc. If you need to re-encode to "shrink" the contents of a DVD so it will fit on a single layer DVD, you can use DVD Shrink. Links for these programs are avail at Videohelp.com. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.