AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any paint as good as another for painted a plastic computer case? I thought that the paint used for painting plastic models would be best, but I didn't know if there were alternatives.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've seen vinyl dye from the auto parts store recommended. I've used it to paint drive faces and it seems very durable. It seems to penetrate the plastic rather that just sit on top.

Clay

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
youll need to scuff up the case so the paint will adhere to the metal.. for the plastic use the die.. do not paint the plastic.. it wont stick long.. if you want to paint it youll have to find some etching primer..

·
Registered
60 Posts
For plastic parts (fascias, drives), I've used car "bumper paint". Gives a matt finish, doesn't run or drip and cannot be scratched off. Of course, the range of colours is rather limited... white, grey or black... but it can be sprayed directly onto clean plastic.

Arnie

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yup but dye will suck into the plastic giving an even color.. since it sucks in it wont flake off or scratch. runs are also not a concern since it will suck in.. problem is you cant dye plastic after its been painted since it will clog the poors

·
Registered
60 Posts
The paint that I referred to appears to be a spray-on plastic itself, gives a perfectly even colour and I thing should be good to paint over (if necessary).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yea you can paint over the plastic.. but if your going to use standard paint one needs to use a filler and sand paper to clean it up.. then use etching primer and make sure its scuffed up then paint it with what ever.. but the best i have seen for painting plastic(makes it look like its really plastic made that way) is to use dye.. check out the websites on dying plastic bezels and what not.. looks nice.. i did my keyboard that was trash to see how it would turn out.. and it looke nice. but it was a broken one and i tossed it afterwards..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.