AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions about who will carry Discovery HD lead me to wonder what is involved in negotiation to get a channel carried by a satellite provider. What, for example, were the issues that were in negotiation between DirecTV and Showtime? Why were they so hard to resolve that it took 2 years?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well in my opinion (and I'm as clueless as Sergeant Schultz) it's probably simply because DirecTv didnt want to carry it until now even though I believe it's just a throw-in to the Showtime package from Showtimes perspective. Now whether it's because DirecTv didnt have a true commitment to HD until recently since it's such a small part of their sub base, or because they didnt think they had room for it, or because they knew theres not a high percentage of true HD on that channel, who knows. I'd like to think it was the latter because then it could mean that they know something we dont know which is that maybe Showtime is about to ramp up their HD offerings in some appreciable way. Thats's probably just a pipe dream though,.. the recent announcement of a new HD sci-fi series notwithstanding.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not sure who caused the delay but Showtime has been saying for over a year that the HD channel was available to DTV at no extra cost.

Of course, DTV disagrees. Who knows what the real bottom line is.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Actually, DirecTV did have transponder space. They had two full TP's on the 110 that were carrying zip! The testing was done in Sept-Oct 2000 for HDTV on 110. While my contacts would not discuss the internal reasons for the long delay, I was given some insight as to why. It was not technical at all. Let's just say decisions by people who can't make decisions takes awhile. Someone has already guessed the same reason why I think they decided to add it now and that was there is some pressure for DirecTV to squat on the TP's on 110 or lose them. Putting that Showtime HD feed there which has been waiting for nearly 2.5 years was a no brainer. IMO, they got backed into a corner and had to make a decision to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DTV had locals on the 110 bird....Raliegh, greenville etc as well as up on 119. Again get your facts straight. How can it be that there are so many people privy to so many things and they are still wrong!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
How is it that someone with 3 posts, with a VERY familiar nickname as a troublemaker on the TiVo forum, somehow thinks that 3 transponders are needed for 12 channels.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MoJo
DTV had locals on the 110 bird....Raliegh, greenville etc as well as up on 119. Again get your facts straight. How can it be that there are so many people privy to so many things and they are still wrong!
Yeah, but not on that transponder using that spectrum.

The FCC is charged with assuring that all available spectrum from a particular orbital slot that can be used to serve the United States doesn't go unutilized.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My conclusion from what's been said is that it was management inaction and lack of motivation by DTV, and that HD is not a priority due to our small numbers. Sounds as if the decision finally was pressured by the possibility of losing the use of the transponders.

So what's the motivation, if any, for them to carry Discovery HD?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here is the deal....and this came from my ultra secret underground sources.

Satellite dish manufactures were having a problem selling all the extra dishes that they had stored in their warehouses. They agreed that if Showtime was "satellite exclusive" to Echostar for a couple of years, then any existing or new customers that wanted to receive showtime would have to buy an extra dish to get HD. They knew that die hard HD people wouldn't mind buying two dishes.

Now that all the extra dishes have been sold to Echostar customers, it is available now on Directv with ONE dish.

Please do no ask me for my sources. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is it that someone with 3 posts, with a VERY familiar nickname as a troublemaker on the TiVo forum, somehow thinks that 3 transponders are needed for 12 channels.

I can assure you that I am not related to the TIVO guy....so what's your point. How did you get up to 1100 plus posts? What? you started at 1100, and just because I have only posted 3 other times does not mean I do not follow these posts or have something to contribute. And as far as your other comment......."somehow thinks that 3 transponders are needed for 12 channels" ...back prior to spotbeam, DTV used the 3 110 transponders for locals (Raliegh, Greenville and others) What's so hard to understand about that? My original point was it's frustrating when somebody speculates, quotes it as fact and it gets picked up and run with as fact by other posters. Everyone of Don's posts are either down on DTV or quoting sources and "facts" that are debatabe. I guess there is no point trying to get to the truth and away from emotion. Go figure..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to know if anyone can answer my question - what's the incentive for DirecTV to carry Discovery HD, or at least to carry it soon? In fact, I now realize I don't understand the economics of this field in the first place. Who pays whom and how do the various parties make money in this?

·
Registered
619 Posts
OK. I think the question I have here is how many HDTV signals can DTV broadcast to all of CONUS from a single satellite? A secondary question is how many satellites can they put in orbit close enough to be seen by the dish as a single source?

In other words, how many HD signals could I receive from the 110 direction if DTV dedicated all transponders to HD?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
I've been following this issue for years and never have read or heard a definitive explanation.

Much of what is in this topic probably has some connection to the truth, and I'll bet the farm the real answer is not as simple as most would think. There are probably a number of factors that prevented SHO-HD from showing up on DirecTV until now and it will take awhile before we really find out what they all were.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey MoJo,

If you want to scream and yell, please go elsewhere. We prefer to have conversations like adults in these forums.

You need to earn people's respect around here, before you can start flaming people left, right and center.

relax!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey MoJo,

If you want to scream and yell, please go elsewhere. We prefer to have conversations like adults in these forums.

You need to earn people's respect around here, before you can start flaming people left, right and center.

relax!

M. Samji

Like this was an adult conversation? I have every right to express my views as you do yours...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Easy answer to original topic... DTV management has an acute case of RCI (Rectal Cranial Insertion). This is, unfortunately, not an DTV only disease.

Mojo - Its possible to have an opinion different from another person, and to state that position, without being rude, abusive, and obnoxious. Its called civility, and it has NOTHING to do with being right or wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Easy answer to original topic... DTV management has an acute case of RCI (Rectal Cranial Insertion). This is, unfortunately, not an DTV only disease.

Mojo - Its possible to have an opinion different from another person, and to state that position, without being rude, abusive, and obnoxious. Its called civility, and it has NOTHING to do with being right or wrong.

Mike

This really amazes me that when a person continually can't dicuss any topic witout peppering it with his negative views, makes inaccurate statements and has the gall to quote them as fact..this is acceptable. And if somebody else points out that this is unacceptable to them.....this is frowned upon? I have been criticized because I have only posted 3 times before.....I have been told to go elsewhere, I have been accused of being rude, abusive and obnoxious by people that are doing the same. I thought this was a forum for dialog..not misinformation. So I will happily sit back and just read the posts and leave you to gripe, speculate and continue on your quest for misinformation....and than again, maybe I won't.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ignorant stupid s***s that we are, its REALLY amazing how we've survived this long. Lucky I guess...

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.