Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANKS ,DISH IN DISH OUT : >

Deborah

------------------

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't try to use a regular drill. It's worth the trouble to go to a tool rental place and get a hammer drill for a few hours. It'll turn a 45-minute sweat-and-curse-producing ordeal into a 30 second piece of cake. I'm a big believer in getting the right tools for the job.

Hammer drills come in different sizes. For brick, you probably want to stay away from the big monsters that'll put 1.75" holes in concrete, as brick can be kinda soft. Smaller ones are no bigger than regular drills.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
A regular drill and masonry bits (probably a half-inch bit) will work but as one poster points out will take time in the BRICK. But if you drill into the mortar joint it won't take long at all (and that can be easily patched later if you remove the stuff). Just move your anchor plate around to line up with mortar joints, or drill some other holes in the plate to match the mortar joints.

You also need some masonry anchors to fit the holes (or a drill bit to fit the anchors and screws). These expand when you put the screw in to hold everything tight, and when you remove the screw the anchors can be removed too as they collapse down again. These are about an inch long (depending on size) so you only need to drill into the brick/mortar joint that deep so they fit.

If you are really concerned about how well they will hold you can use longer lag screws without masonry anchors -- drill all the way through the brick thickness with your masonry bit, and then screw the lag screws into the sheathing underneath. These lag screws will probably need to be about 4 inches long (or more) as the brick is maybe 3 inches thick, there is a bit of a gap, then into the (plywood usually) sheathing behind the brick. Those will need about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole/masonry bit.

If the anchors are a bit loose when you put them in, mix up some epoxy and goop it in the hole to hold everything tightly. It will be a bit harder to get the anchor out if you want to do that later, but a little chisel will do that job.

You might also have to drill all the way through the brick/mortar and sheathing to run the cable in somewhere around your TV unless you can get it through a window or some other opening.

Been there, done that...took me maybe 30 minutes with a regular drill and masonry bit. Note also that you can pound the little cable clamp nails into mortar if you tap carefully and don't bend the nail -- looks very professional.

--Rich

------------------

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Lots of good advice here!

I'd agree with (Dish in it out).

Love those "redheads".Used 3/4by6in.on the tower base.They ain't comin' out!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,i'm heading over to RS to get my antenna.

It will be attached to the brick wall ( bricks )like the rest of the old antenna's up there. (Antenna Mast Wall Mount)

I'm very handy ,but what did they use to start the hole for them big screws? I have a drill gun ,but no bits that big : (

Thanks so much

Blue

------------------

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The board just finished fixing the building bricks/roof and pointing.

I would not want to have bricks falling apart when making the holes. (big grin)

Thanks

Blue

------------------

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks kipp

I have a drill and masonary drill bits ,but my drill gun isn't a hammer drill.

Can i get away with a regular drill? I know it will take longer ,my main worry is the bricks falling apart.

Oh,i do know what a hammer drill is..it hammers and drills at the same time (big grin)

Thanks

Blue

------------------

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will need to visit your local hardware store. Depending on the size of your bolt/screw (take one with you) you will need a masonry bit (aluminum colored and doesn't look very sharp) Just ask them and they will show you.

Additionally I don't have much experience with fastening items to brick, but ask someone who works in the hardware dept and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Take the hardware with you that you intend to mount to the brick.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put up a similar mount using a regular drill (18V cordless) and drilling into the mortor not the brick. Also, if you are concerned check your local equipment rental places, usually you can rent one pretty cheap for a few hours so you don't damage your standard drill.

nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should be fine with a regular drill and a bit which is not worn out. It's slow going but not that slow. Depending on the condition of the brick, you will need to decide how deep to drill your holes. With the use of expansion type plugs/bolt you shouldn't have to drill more than 1 inch. This will depend however on the weight/mass of your antenna and mast assembly.

Again, the hardware guys should be able to advise best.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Blue,

depending on the hardness of the brick, you may be able to get away with a regular drill but your right that it will take much longer if it is at all possible.

I know this is not the right thing to do but go buy a hammer drill, use it and return it. Oopps...did I say that???? Good luck!

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all : >

Have a wonderful weekend and hug your love ones : >

Deborah

Kipp, i busted up laughing when i read this..( i notice Home Depot tools look used sometimes,now you have me thinking) lol

"I know this is not the right thing to do but go buy a hammer drill, use it and return it. Oopps...did I say that???? Good luck!" KIPP

------------------

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"

[This message has been edited by Blue Rain (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
277 Posts
You will need as stated above a rotary hammer drill. Buy 2 1/2 long by 1/4 inch expansion anchors. They come with washers and nuts. Put the washer and nut on the end of the anchor, this to avoid damaging the threads while you hammer in the anchor. Use a 7/16 inch socket to tighten anchor.The anchor will expand and anchor itself while you tighten it down. Repeat as neccessary http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.