AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going to start to built that HT in my basement.

I already have somr tools but not much.

I want to avoid spending more than I need to get the job done.

I would appreciate if you who has gone thru this route already list the major tools with specific size, brand etc.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Beavis,

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........He said 'tools'!

JEff :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well what I have need so far are:

Hammer

miter saw but skill saw will work

hand saw (for sawing ends off like the door frame)

drywall knife OR hacksaw blade if you have one

some putty knives

tile knife

tin snipes (for metal edging of drywall)

and a good drill.

I built my walls with screws not nails, and well all I had was a 9.6v drill. ICK I had to pre-drill everything because the drill is not powerfull enough, then I got a 14.4v drill WOW what a difference it is REALLY powerfull and probably saved me a few weeks work!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you don't mind delving into a sometimes seedier side of life, pawn shops are a great place to get great deals on used tools. I bought my 12" DeWalt miter/chop saw at a pawn shop for $140 and it might have been used twice. The carbide on the original blade still had the factory luster on the cutting edges and the case was in perfect condition. Anyway, I was at Home Depot a couple of weeks later and saw the exact same model of saw on sale for $399. I've bought electric drills, pneumatic nail guns, belt sander, and several other tools in this way. Just carefully inspect the stuff and make sure it works before you purchase it. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This weekend I will go to Sears (10% off Sunday) and will buy a Table and circular saw. Also I might get a pneumatic nailer and a compressor.

I have a few power tools like drills, screw drivers and sander.

I need advice for the nailer. What features and size should I be looking?

Thank you all for the comments.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know if your nailer is for general construction (framing) or more for trim work (finish). A framing nailer can certainly make short work of building walls, but is probably limited to just that task. It won't really do a better job than hand nailing, just faster.

OTOH, I have found my finish nailer to be practically indispensible when doing any kind of cabinetry or trim work. Crown moulding, baseboards, door jambs, etc. What makes it so easy, is that you can adjust something into place with one hand, while the other shoots a nail quickly, cleanly, and without anything moving around. The nail holes it leaves are much smaller than an average finish nail. With an 18# finish nailer, you don't even have to predrill oak trim to keep it from splitting. In the case of the finish nailer, it really does do a better job than hand nailing, and it's a lot faster.

You don't need a huge compressor to run any kind of nail gun, even a 1 hp will work fine. Now if you plan on using air tools like drills, impact wrenches or paint sprayers, look carefully at the CFM ratings to see that they match the tools you plan to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.