AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've bought a Onkyo TX-NR 708 receiver, and am looking to get some good tower speakers for a 7.1 surround sound. I watch a lot of blu-ray movies, and listen to a lot of music (which is a 50/50 split between rock and rap music).

I am looking at spending $1000 or less for tower speakers (although if something is slighty more, but sounds a lot better I would)

I am thinking of going between the EMPTEK E55ti and klipsh rf-62.

I also plan on buying a sub in the $1000 range, so you can assume I will have a decent sub with them.

So which of those two speakers (or anything else you recommend) would be better for me based on the music I listen to and the 7.1 HT setup.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have anywhere that I could listen to these speakers, and I trust people on the avsforum more than salesman on "what to buy", since I think this forum is more informed than salesmen, and have no "commission-bias"

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajistheman /forum/post/19540627

I don't have anywhere that I could listen to these speakers, and I trust people on the avsforum more than salesman on "what to buy", since I think this forum is more informed than salesmen, and have no "commission-bias"

That's too bad. In my defense though I suggested listening to speakers, not to salespeople, and this forum is definitely an excellent resource for suggestions - I used it myself.

Ron

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Aj, I'm guessing the EMP speakers will have more mellow treble then the Klipsch. The Klipsch will have greater dynamic response. If you're room is untreated, or if it has a lot of sonic reflection going on, I would stay away from the Klipsch; they can sound harsh in the wrong room. Also think about where you want to take your system in the future. Klipsch has a lot more matching options as far as surround speakers and center channel speakers than the EMP. I think they would both be good, the Klipsch will hit harder, and that can be a good or bad thing, depending on your circumstances. I wouldn't buy subwoofers from either EMP or Klipsch though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Massive bang for the buck with SVS speakers and subs. Their 5.1 and 7.1 systems are killer. They include their highly touted subs and are very difficult to beat for twice the price. Check 'em out at svsound.com

No relationship to the company. Just an extremely satisfied customer and owner of both 5.1 and 7.1 SVS systems. Plus, SVS' customer service is second to none with emails often answered within minutes...on weekends, no less. Great company with great products that they stand staunchly behind.

Tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the Energy RC-70 speakers from 2008 compete with the EMT and Klipsch speakers from 2010? I'm asking because I don't know how much speakers change from year to year.

ShadyJ, my room is pretty open. I don't have the dimensions on hand, because I'm at work, but its a rectanglar size room (Where the tv, speakers, couch are), and then a smaller square size area behind all the speakers. Is that good or bad for the Klipsch?

thanks for the help

and I do plan to match the Center Speaker to the front/left speakers

and buy the sub and surround speakers from a different brand

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When matching the center channel (since I have to buy one of those too:p), is it going to be a problem with the Energy RC-70 speakers, since the center channel for it is discontinued (Energy RC-LCR), or can I match it well with any Energy center speaker?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
What matters more than the dimensions is how many hard surfaces are there, ie bare walls? One way to understand how acoustically reflective your room is might be to try the clap test. Clap your hands once in your seating position and listen for any kind of reverb or echo. If you hear any noticeable amount, the Klipsch might be a bit too energetic for that room. Reflectivity is bad for sound from any speaker though, but with Klipsch it tends to be worse because of how Klipsch directs its energy. One way to defeat reflectivity is to treat your room with soft, fuzzy things which dampen sound. Stuff like shag carpets, heavy curtains, velvet coverings, etc. The more soft, jagged irregular surfaces the better, anything other than flat hard surfaces like bare walls.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The RC-70 are great speakers but keep in mind that their entire RC line is discontinued and that if you're lucky enough to find the matched center it will cost you at least $500 for the center alone - something you may have a heck of a time finding later. If you were going for 2.0 or 2.1 music system then I'd say jump on them. I'm not so sure for a 5/7.1 system unless you can locate and afford a center at the same time.

If you want towers I'd look at OneCall's deal on the long discontinued Boston Acoustics VR3/VRC bundle . That's half what they sold for at BB/Magnolia. I've owned a set and they are very-very good. The 708 will drive the crap out of them.

Is there a reason that you want towers? Since you're buying a sub a really large room would be a good reason. I ask because three (RCR) re-certified Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves would just about fit your budget.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one of the reviews said, that the matching center, doesn't match well with the RC-70, and its best to just use three RC-70 for left, right, center...and if its going to cost me as much money to find a discountinued center, should I just buy 3 RC-70's? use it for the Left, Right, and Center speakers...

i know its a phsyically big center, but i have empty space above my tv, maybe I could build a big shelf to put it on...

would it hurt the "center" speaker any if I put it on its side (horizontally) on a wooden shelf? Is that bad for noise?

EDIT:

I bought three of the RC-70's. I can use the center vertically and it will work ideally for two of the 5 seats on my couch...the others three seats will have the center to the left, and the left even further. I will try it out to see how it works. If it doesn't work (and I find the Center Speaker on ebay at a decent price), I will switch and then just put one of the three RC-70 speakers on ebay, I'm sure I can get my money back if it doesn't work out

Thanks for the help anyone, so now I have a receiver and the left, center, right front speakers. Now I have to save some cash and next month buy a subwoofer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts