AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question. I'm interested in buying a USB tv tuner for my HTPC, but I'm not sure which one would be right for my setup...but you guys know!

So right now I have basic cable hooked up to my my HDTV via coaxial cable. I have no need for an antenna.

I'm deciding between Hauppage WinTV-HVR850 and the Hauppage WinTV-950Q. The 850 seems to be ATSC and the 950Q is ClearQam. I'm really not sure on the difference between ATSC and ClearQam; all I know is Qam is better, but it might not be neccesary for me.

So basically, do I need an ATSC or ClearQam tv tuner to receive my basic cable signal via my HTPC?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Based on the limited information you provided what you probably need is a NTSC/clearQAM combo tuner. ATSC and QAM are digital signals, ATSC is the standard used for Over The Air modulation (need on antenna) while QAM is digital modulation used by cable companies. NTSC is the older analog setup. It is no longer used for OTA (it has completely been replaced by ATSC) but cable companies still use it. ClearQAM are nothing more than QAM channels in the clear (unencrypted). For a QAM tuner to work the channels must be in the clear otherwise you will need a cable box to do the decryption. Anyway, depending on your provider and area will determine how many channels are in the clear (usually limited to your local channels). If the bulk of your channels are still the old analog signal then you will need a NTSC tuner.

·
Registered
494 Posts

• You need NTSC to receive analog stuff from your coax cable outlet.
  • You need cQAM to receive unencrypted stuff from your coax cable outlet (HD Channels they are required by the FCC to broadcast, ABC, NBC, etc)
  • You need ATSC to receive HD from OTA. You might ask yourself "Why should I get HD from OTA if I can get it from my cable company via cQAM?" Well, cable companies compress the crap out of their stuff, you may see compression artifacts on cable you wouldn't see on OTA. Plus OTA is just hella cool cause it's free. Build a $5 UHF antenna and ditch your cable company
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200448

950Q does it all, get one off ebay for sub $50.

Then get this MCE remote for Windows and you'll be rockin (MediaGate GP-IR02BK) http://www.amazon.com/Company-MediaG...7377249&sr=1-2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts