1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
kd34xbr960; and I love it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Toshiba 30HF85. great picture, it has it's minor flaws but i like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sony 40XBR800, 34HS510, and buying another 40XBR800 today. I just love Sony.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
2002 Sony 34XBR800, with anti-glare filter removed, used with 1080i inputs only. Also have a 2000 Ward's Admiral analog SD CRT with a 27" Sharp picture tube that I still use.

If you're lookin for a used Sony HD tube, I'd recommend getting one of the models without an antiglare filter. The blacks don't look quite as dark on the XBR800 in a brightly lit room after removing the antiglare filter. But I like the picture alot better without it. And it was a bit of a hassle to get it off.

I mostly use the Sony for watching DVDs upscaled to 1080i. With the right tweaks on the TV, the picture looks pretty fantastic. Even pretty shoddily made DVDs can be very watchable.

There is no built-in HD tuner on the 34XBR800 (there's no OTA in my area anyway, so it didn't really matter). I'm thinkin of pickin up a DVD recorder with a digital tuner for it though, because there are more channels I can pickup from basic cable with a digital/QAM tuner. None of the current recorders have HD passthru though. Some HD content (mainly movies & TV series shot on film) looks pretty good on them however, even though it's downconverted, and then re-upconverted. Still think I'll wait and see if any '09 recorders might pass thru the channels in full HD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
34XBR970, its sweet hooked up with hdmi to ps3, ps3 set to display highest resolution up to 1080i, blurays are awsome, but ive had problems with some games looking like crap on 1080i, more the game than tv then i just change to 720p and all is good.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sony KV-40XBR800. Purchased in late December 2002 w/ optional Sony Stand from Circuit City for $3000, and a 5-Year CC Extended Warranty. Also same day, purchased Sony DVP-NS715P progressive DVD Player and Sony Remote Commander RM-AV3000 w/lcd touchscreen.

Let me first say that I love this TV and its excellent PQ. It's been a solid performer, and as HD is great on most all current TV's, this model also excels at producing a fantastic pic in SD. Being a 40" 4:3 HDTV, it's the largest Tube Sony had ever produced. You park the beast in a corner and fogetaboutit.

Just a few days ago, I experienced the shut down 6-7 red led blinking issue (see thread on this problem), and am in the process of ordering the parts & tools to fix it. I did manage to get the TV to come back on after unplugging it for a day, and since last Thursday night have not turned it off. I don't plan to sell this 40XBR and will move it to a spare room or kitchen corner when I eventually upgrade.

PS: A little note about size. To equal my 40XBR's screen size when viewing SD, you would need to get a 50" PDP or LCD display. When viewing HD, the 40XBR displays a 37" 16:9 screen. When I eventually upgrade, I'll be going for a 60+" display.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.whatshisname /forum/post/15418486

Not trying to brag or boast, just want to see what CRT's everyone has and if they like it or hate it.

I have a KD-36XS955 , got it for $300 in 2007 from Circuit City. It has the super fine pitch tube. I love it, but I wish it was the full 36 inches on widescreen. It's a 4:3 TV, other than that it's everything I want from a TV.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicSectorTech /forum/post/15542245

I have a KD-36XS955 , got it for $300 in 2007 from Circuit City. It has the super fine pitch tube. I love it, but I wish it was the full 36 inches on widescreen. It's a 4:3 TV, other than that it's everything I want from a TV.

That is one heck of a deal you got! Did it come w/the optional stand? Did you know that one little "D" circuit board on that TV cost over $300? Congrats on a great deal.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Philips 30PW8420/37, and it's a great TV. I've had it for 3 years and have been very pleased with it. I use it with an LG LST-3510A combo digital tuner / DVD upscaling player.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy /forum/post/15542375

That is one heck of a deal you got! Did it come w/the optional stand? Did you know that one little "D" circuit board on that TV cost over $300? Congrats on a great deal.

Thanks, I sniped it off eBay...I did have to drive 200 miles to get it though.

I'll probably get a plasma eventually, but for now, I'm gonna ride this thing until it drops!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 2003-vintage 34" Sony KV-34XBR910.

I love it. The picture quality is utterly fantastic.

You'll have to pry it off my cold dead hands - until/unless I can replace it with a Pioneer 9G KURO PRO-141FD 60" Elite Signature plasma

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sony 34XBR960N, Sony GDM-FW900 PC CRT, Sony 32HS510

I bought the XBR960N from Crutchfield.com few years ago and it hasn't given me any problems, I wish the geometry & convergence where a little better but overall looks great. The first couple years I used the TV heavily for gaming (PS3 / 360) before buying a kuro plasma which I now use as my main gaming TV.

I use the FW900 CRT daily as my main PC monitor, It's currently 7 years old and still has a great picture with extremely straight geometry ,excellent convergence, and corner to corner focus. The only downside is slightly slow warm up time (About 15 minutes) the black levels are a little on the bright side during the warm up period.

Bought the 32HS510 from circuit city and it was great while it lasted, unfortunately it quit working after 3 1/2 years and I havent bothered having it repaired after reading they have a slightly high failure rate vs. other sony models. (needs a new Dboard)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.