AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a ton of reading on these forums first starting with front projector, then outdoor TV, then rear projector and after all that, it seems that a TV is best for outdoor.

What is everyone using there? Is there a good anti-glare one capable of withstanding Florida heat and humidity year round? Are there bought or DIY enclosures with a cost effective TV or am I stuck to go on the very expensive sunbrite, saure or samsung the terrace route?

My main reluctance on going with a very expensive outdoor TV is that I'm reading some cases when the TV develops some lines or other issues and the manufacture (samsung at least) doesn't want to warranty it and therefore a very expensive paper weight.

Happy to hear what everyone else has had success with or recommendations.

Thank you.
Font Rectangle Circle Number Magenta
Rectangle Font Parallel Paper Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

· Registered
85 Posts
I wouldn’t spend a dime on an outside tv. Just do what I did. Used my old bedroom tv and purchase a good cover. Amazon has them around $30. Leave the cover on and unplug when not in use. If the tv fails then no worries. Gotten 3 seasons already.

· Registered
946 Posts
What size, budget and viewing distance? Get something fairly inexpensive and bright, put it under cover and use a protective cover and unplug when not in use. Expect to replace it in a few years so I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a so called 'outside TV'. TCL 5 or 6 series (leftover R646 is a great deal right now and very bright) or Hisense U6H, U7H (Costco U75H is basically the same as the U7H) should be more than good enough for this type of duty. U8H is even brighter and better at reflection handling but pricier.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size, budget and viewing distance? Get something fairly inexpensive and bright, put it under cover and use a protective cover and unplug when not in use. Expect to replace it in a few years so I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a so called 'outside TV'. TCL 5 or 6 series (leftover R646 is a great deal right now and very bright) or Hisense U6H, U7H (Costco U75H is basically the same as the U7H) should be more than good enough for this type of duty. U8H is even brighter and better at reflection handling but pricier.
Have not really put much constraints as yet but if more cost outlay, it should last to worth the investment. If it is no good after a year or two then cheaper is better.

Viewing distance would 20-40 feet if placed facing north. The west facing option would need much wider viewing angle and more sunlight to deal with so less time to use.

· Registered
94 Posts
Brightness is king for outdoor TV's. You don't want an edge-lit set. My buddy's direct lit Sony X85 looks great outdoors, other friend has Samsung 60(Edge Lit) and looks like garbage. I picked up a 65" TCL R646 back in November for stinky cheap. It is Mini LED and gets super bright. It replaced an edge lit old Samsung and the difference is miles apart. Can be seen clearly across the pool and yard.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brightness is king for outdoor TV's. You don't want an edge-lit set. My buddy's direct lit Sony X85 looks great outdoors, other friend has Samsung 60(Edge Lit) and looks like garbage. I picked up a 65" TCL R646 back in November for stinky cheap. It is Mini LED and gets super bright. It replaced an edge lit old Samsung and the difference is miles apart. Can be seen clearly across the pool and yard.
This is really helpful. I see the TCL R646 comes up a lot and yet per rtings it isn't the brightness of the options there but I guess if this brightness is enough and viewing angle in good, then I would take a look.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

· Registered
67 Posts
I have a bar out back next to the pool that is built inside a shed..Sometime in mid 2020 I bought 3 of the cheapest Hisense sets there are , think the 75" one went for $750 at the time..I forgot the model numbers...Anyhow , those things would piss me off so much , its almost like the operating system had to be dragged out of bed and given coffee before they would start responding to remote inputs...I recently had one of the 50" ones go out and I replaced it with a TCL 50" , the operating system is night and day! Picture seems a little better , or maybe it seems that way because it doesnt piss me off first...
Picture in the sun is going to be hit and miss , my advice is just spending an amount of money that you dont mind throwing away...My bar TV's sit in my enclosed shed thru SoCal summers , it gets pretty damn hot in there , so I am not sure if that contributed to the one 50" already failing but that was a couple hundred bucks out the window , plus the cost of the new TCL...Maybe try a used one off of Craigslist or somewhere first , see the pros and cons of it at a cheap price.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a bar out back next to the pool that is built inside a shed..Sometime in mid 2020 I bought 3 of the cheapest Hisense sets there are , think the 75" one went for $750 at the time..I forgot the model numbers...Anyhow , those things would piss me off so much , its almost like the operating system had to be dragged out of bed and given coffee before they would start responding to remote inputs...I recently had one of the 50" ones go out and I replaced it with a TCL 50" , the operating system is night and day! Picture seems a little better , or maybe it seems that way because it doesnt piss me off first...
Picture in the sun is going to be hit and miss , my advice is just spending an amount of money that you dont mind throwing away...My bar TV's sit in my enclosed shed thru SoCal summers , it gets pretty damn hot in there , so I am not sure if that contributed to the one 50" already failing but that was a couple hundred bucks out the window , plus the cost of the new TCL...Maybe try a used one off of Craigslist or somewhere first , see the pros and cons of it at a cheap price.
Since I wouldn't have much areas to "protect" it unless I build an enclosure that one has to remember to religiously close, I may just bite the bullet and get the 55" element roku outdoor one with a 5-year warranty. I can try rolling the dice otherwise but someone is going to spray/splash water on anything not at least IP55 and that leaves purpose built outdoor units and I don't know I want to do samsung due to they denying things so Element may be what I end up going with.

I would have thought by 2023 this would be much easier to solve ;-)

· Registered
67 Posts
Since I wouldn't have much areas to "protect" it unless I build an enclosure that one has to remember to religiously close, I may just bite the bullet and get the 55" element roku outdoor one with a 5-year warranty. I can try rolling the dice otherwise but someone is going to spray/splash water on anything not at least IP55 and that leaves purpose built outdoor units and I don't know I want to do samsung due to they denying things so Element may be what I end up going with.

I would have thought by 2023 this would be much easier to solve ;-)
On a sidenote , have you looked into sheds? Trust me , when my GF first said we should get one I thought she was crazy...But it ended up being pretty awesome...Not sure how much room you have or budget , but something like the brown shed might be a couple thousand?...Not exactly cheap , but certainly adds a bit more of a wow factor to your yard...The other picture is of my shed at night watching the fights , its 12'x24' and cost like $7K when we got it in early 2020..Of course the electrical , drywall , flooring and other stuff added up to be a bit more..So of course it turns into a "How far do you want to go?" type thing lol.... Here is a link to see the inside currently...

Plant Wood Shade Outdoor furniture Table
Water Swimming pool Building Leisure Rectangle

· Registered
4,454 Posts
I've done a ton of reading on these forums first starting with front projector, then outdoor TV, then rear projector and after all that, it seems that a TV is best for outdoor.

What is everyone using there? Is there a good anti-glare one capable of withstanding Florida heat and humidity year round? Are there bought or DIY enclosures with a cost effective TV or am I stuck to go on the very expensive sunbrite, saure or samsung the terrace route?

My main reluctance on going with a very expensive outdoor TV is that I'm reading some cases when the TV develops some lines or other issues and the manufacture (samsung at least) doesn't want to warranty it and therefore a very expensive paper weight.

Happy to hear what everyone else has had success with or recommendations.

Thank you. View attachment 3392346 View attachment 3392347 View attachment 3392348
Im still trying to figure out what pool to use with my tv.😂
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts