AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of antenna is necessary, recommended to recieve HDTV broadcasts? I am interested in feeding the signal into a Hauppauge winTV-D card...

------------------

-macdaddy

visit www.theHarangue.com

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Go to www.titantv.com & see what DTV stations are available in your area. If the channel numbers are 13 & below, you need a VHF antenna. If they are 14 & over, you need a UHF antenna. If you have some of both, you need a VHF/UHF antenna.

There are dozens of threads on DTV reception on the Forum. Do some searching & you'll find lots of answers.

Most people find outdoor antennas work best, but some use small indoor table-top models that work fine, too. It really depends on your specific location, you have to try it to know what will work for you.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

PS. Sorry about the bad link, it works now.

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that you needed a special antenna to pick up HDTV broadcasts. Am I correct in understanding that any TV antenna will pick up HDTV broadcasts? Are there any bandwidth/frequency range issues I need to be aware of?

Maybe the site is temporarily down, but the link (to titantv) does not work...

Thanks for the help!

------------------

-macdaddy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greetings -

Does anyone know an online retailer for the MegaWave set-top antenna?

I have the rat shack double bow tie, but most of the channels come in average to below average quality. I'm situated in a three-level apartment complex with a neighboring unit on one side of my place. I'm wondering how the MegaWave will compare.

Gracias,

Philip

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ditto

the MegaWave is one of the models that has been recommended to me. Is it truly the best indoor antenna? Should I believe the hype?

please advise...

------------------

-macdaddy

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theREALmacdaddy:
I was under the impression that you needed a special antenna to pick up HDTV broadcasts.
Unfortunately, that is a common misconception. All you need is an ordinary TV antenna. However, it is likely that you need a UHF antenna and most TV antennas are tuned for VHF. Just follow Ken's advice.

also, check out:
www.antennaweb.org

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
According to the spec sheet, the WINTV-D card will only output in 480i. The HD card may output in HD, but I could not find any specs on it.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:

I was under the impression that you needed a special antenna to pick up HDTV broadcasts
No, but marketing hype from some companies would have you believe otherwise.

If you were as old as I am, you would remember the same type of thing when color TV was introduced - indoor antennas wouldn't work, and special "designed for color" antennas were needed. This was even printed right on the box, and to this day remains on most antenna boxes.

Perhaps in the future, sophisticated antenna and receiver designed will be optimized for digital signals, such as adaptive phase array antennas that automatically electronically point themselves for the best reception on a given channel. But today, you just need a decent TV antenna. And if you're in a difficult reception area, get the sucker as high as you possibly can.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions for an indoor antenna for use in a metropolitan area...?

Please advise, thank you.

------------------

-macdaddy

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Do a search for "Silver Sensor".

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dagman:

most TV antennas are tuned for VHF.
Actually, this is entirely a function of where you live. In my area, every (analog) station but one is UHF, and the lone VHF station can be picked up with a coat hanger! You'd be hard pressed to find a VHF-only antenna around here.

Bob

------------------
Evil Gemstar: All your guide are belong to us!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Does anybody have any suggestions for an indoor antenna for use in a metropolitan area...?
Many people are getting great HD reception with the Radio Shack "double bowtie" antenna. I don't know why this antenna performs so well but at $15.99 it's worth a try. Return it to Rat Shack if your not happy with it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fna me=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F008%5F001&product %5Fid=15%2D623

Steve

------------------

Steve Kinkead

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Steve Kinkead (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who have posted...

Specifically, I am looking for an antenna that is effective in the Los Angeles Basin. Will the rabbit ears from RS work in this environment? Has anybody tried using the Radio Shack rabbit ears inside an apartment building in LA? What about the MegaWave? That is the antenna that TitanTV recommends (but that could also be just a shameless plug).

Please continue to advise; your input has been quite helpful.

------------------

-macdaddy

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've plugged in a few addresses at titantv and the Megawave seems to come up. I've never used it and haven't heard much about it on this site (good or bad).

The two indoor antenna that people use with success are the Radio Shack double-bowtie and the Silver Sensor. I personally have the Silver Sensor in NYC and really like it. The Silver Sensor is a UK antenna that is only sold through a few dealers. One such dealer is a member of this site, (Go to www.nbtelectronics.com). This is a Canadian dealer. Many people on this site bought the antenna from nbt and are happy. Note that the prices are in Canadian $$, so do the conversion. There is another site in NJ that carries the antenna, but is more expensive and I had some shipping problems with them.

Good Luck,

-Brett

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Kinkead:
Many people are getting great HD reception with the Radio Shack "double bowtie" antenna. I don't know why this antenna performs so well but at $15.99 it's worth a try. Return it to Rat Shack if your not happy with it.

Steve

Steve, are you using this antenna? Where in San Diego are you located? What is your reception like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm using the double-bow tie with mixed results. While I receive at least 6 HDTV channels, the quality wavers between excellent (CBS) to below average. I am about 3 miles from the largest broadcast tower (in an urban area). Then again, I think it is more of a function of building density and other interference factors. I am deciding on the either the Silver Sensor or MegaWave for comparison purposes. I will post the results when I can.

Philip

·
Registered
102 Posts
Philip....

MegaWave Corp., Boylston, MA http://www.megawave.com 508-869-2700

I purchased the MTV-1 about one month ago. It didn't work for my application. So if interested I have a new one thats avaliable.

Good Luck..

John

------------------

JPH

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
I was under the impression that you needed a special antenna to pick up HDTV broadcasts. Am I correct in understanding that any TV antenna will pick up HDTV broadcasts? Are there any bandwidth/frequency range issues I need to be aware of?

Maybe the site is temporarily down, but the link (to titantv) does not work...

Thanks for the help!

------------------------------------

It all depends on where you live and how strong the signal is. I read all the post and thought I needed some special antenna. Turns out I can get all of the channels in my area except 1 that is on low power with $2 rabbit ears. I will admit that I have a very, very clear view of the towers. I can actually see them clearly without amplification at night.I live 15-20 miles from the towers.

Basically try the cheapest one you can find and see if it works. If not work your way up the price line until you find one that works.

BE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tom,

I'm not using the double bowtie. I have a small multi-element UHF antenna mounted on the roof. I live in the Sorrento Valley area on top of a mesa. I can see the transmitters on Mt Soledad about 8 miles away.

My reception is pretty good on all channels. Signal strength on CBS is around 75.

Steve

------------------

Steve Kinkead

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.