AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting some old speakers, and I like to restore them up a little bit and paint them so I can put them in my livingroom that has a black color scheme.

my question is, what type of fabric is it that they put on speakers and where can I find some in black? I know my father has previously tried using cheese cloth that he painted black, but I didn't know if there was something else that was better than that.

So any tips on what I should use and where I can get it?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So why exactly do they sell 70" wide?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
How large do you need in one direction? If you can get two from the 70" width, you can just buy enough to wrap the short dimension. The PartsExpress fabric is pretty nice, but you need to stretch it evenly to get a good appearance. You may want to push-pin it in place, see how evenly you stretched it, adjust for any wrong pulls, and then staple it down.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I guess two yards of the stuff should do nicely.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got my old speakers in this weekend, and they sound fantastic! So I am going to have to restore them to be able get approval from the aesthetics committee to keep them in there. I'll post some measurements tonight and see what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay the speakers are 31" tall, 12" wide, and 8" deep. The Cloth part is 27" tall and 11.5" wide. I still need to see what's underneath the cloth before I can determine how to restore them, but I am quite hopeful.
I'll be sure to take some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Joann fabrics has speaker cloth back in the upolstery section. I recently redid the front grilles on a good majority of my speakers, worked great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts