AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This isn't necessarily home theater related but a build of sorts. I have an office that I'm remodeling and it sits right below our babies room. In efforts to keep the sound isolated a bit I was thinking of installing furring channel on the ceiling.

Is this the correct type of furring channel to get in order to decouple the drywall from the ceiling?
http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/metal-framing/7-8-x-12-furring-channel-25-ga/p-1707664-c-5695.htm

Also in efforts to preserve ceiling height is it ok to run 2x4's set up inside the joists a bit and then attach the channel to that? I believe some one on here did this but I don't remember who.

What type of clips would I need to get? Would they be the whisper clips from the Soundproofing Company?

Thank you!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,400 Posts
That is the right channel, yes you can add blocking and run the channels parallel to the joists hanging down 1/2 inch. Ask Ted White to send you the diagram when he sends you the clips and green glue. You should be hanging double layers of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue. If the problem is severe you might also want to add damped mass to the underside of the subfloor above. Check out the article on soundproofing a ceiling at soundproofingcompany.com.

There are several varieties of clips, Whisper clips would be good for this application.

Don't overlook that sound will also enter the office via the walls, that is called flanking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts