AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently I have a SONY surrond reciver with a bose acoustamas 15 speaker system in my family room. The receiver is about 4 years old.

I alos have speaker in my kitchen, and speakers on my outside deck. I am able to play all of the speakers at one time or select zone 1 which is the family room, zone 2 which is the kitchen and zone 3 which is the deck.

I use a junky switcher box which barley works and needs replacement because when I am outside with the speakers swith off, you can still hear some sounds from the speakers if the inside music is on.

That being said before I replace the switcfh box I was wondering if there was a receiver or a device out there that I can play my tv in the family room, at the same time play the musci from my ipod or cd's in the kitchen and deck.

My guess is I need a new receiver. Is that correct?

What do I need. I do not want to spend a bazillion dollars. Budget is max 500

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can do it but I don't know if you are going to get 3 zones in the price. You may find some 2 zone units in that price range. A quick run through Crutchfield shows 10 units by Denon, Sony, Yamaha and Onkyo within you budget. The difference between them are mainly in the power ratings and weather they support video in the other zone. For the easiest install look for a unit that powers remote speakers directly. For greater versitility find a unit that supports line out to the other zones so you can add or reuse you current amp for that zone. Good luck in you search.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is thsi feature called. I can't seem to find it on crutchfield. I am looking under receivers and I do not know which ones have it.

Also do they ahev multipal speaker sports in the back for each zone?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Multizone Multisource or 2nd Zone Receivers.

I haven't seen a third zone for that price, but to add a second zone and your third running as a slave from the second is very simple.

Ensure you watch your impedance with a setup like this. Just ensure you have impedance matching volume controls with the correct settings and you can hook both sets of speakers to zone 2 and listen to a different source then whats playing in the main room. Most of the time the second source has to be a analog signal. Meaning RCA left and right connections. You can't normally use the digital connections for the second zone.

Easy way around this is to always hook the digital signal to the receiver and another analog signal (rcas l and r) to another source input for the second zone.

Example.

HD CABLE BOX. Run the digital signal to TV/DBS input on your receiver. Use the TV DBS for the main room if you want to watch your cable with digital signals (dts , dd) Then run the RCA L and R into video 1. If you want to listen to music from you cable box then select zone 2 and video 1. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson /forum/post/0

Okay but a 4 year old sony that has an A and a B speaker selection is not multizone right?

No...Multizone refers to the ability to play different sources to different zones. A and B allow you to turn on separate zones, but they'll be playing the same source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.