AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HD cable box comes tuesday and I need a 3 way cable splitter. What type of cable splitter can I get that will not sacrafice signal quality to my HD box? Anywhere local like CC, BB or RS sell any good ones? Is it ok to use a signal booster if needed? I have one laying around

Thanks

Dave

*EDIT* I also added this to the bottom as well

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was actually wrong about my setup though. I thought I had one wire coming into my house and then split to 3 TVs. Well I was wrong.

When Comcast installed my Cable internet they put a splitter outside of the house. 1 wire goes to my internet that runs directly into my room and one that runs into the house where there is the 3 way splitter. The first splitter is a 1ghz splitter that is outside the house. The one inside is like 800mhz.

So my HD will actually be coming off the 2nd split, isnt this bad? What do you suggest? Cable guy hasnt shown up yet today

Thanks

Dave

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46
My HD cable box comes tuesday and I need a 3 way cable splitter. What type of cable splitter can I get that will not sacrafice signal quality to my HD box? Anywhere local like CC, BB or RS sell any good ones? Is it ok to use a signal booster if needed? I have one laying around

Thanks

Dave

Have the installer do his job and check the levels at the STB at the install and don't let him leave or sign for the order until you see him do it - even if he has to repeat it.

If it's low, have him supply a cableco amp to the get the levels correct.

You need a 2 way amp, so those are not your typical check CC, BB, RS items.

·
Registered
181 Posts
All splitters result in a loss of signal strength. Whether this causes a noticable loss in signal quality is a different issue; obviously it's less likely for digital signals than analog ones. Make sure your splitters are clean up to at least 1 GHz.

If you find a noticable degree of degredation, particularly in analog content (if there still is any on your system) you may consider a signal booster. The amplifiers they sell at places like Radio Shack and Home Depot are not very good, and they may interfere with the passive return needed to allow upstream communication (e.g. cable modems, VOD and PPV, etc.) I use the Electroline and have been happy with the results.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was actually wrong about my setup though. I thought I had one wire coming into my house and then split to 3 TVs. Well I was wrong.

When Comcast installed my Cable internet they put a splitter outside of the house. 1 wire goes to my internet that runs directly into my room and one that runs into the house where there is the 3 way splitter. The first splitter is a 1ghz splitter that is outside the house. The one inside is like 800mhz.

So my HD will actually be coming off the 2nd split, isnt this bad? What do you suggest? Cable guy hasnt shown up yet today

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46

Thanks

Dave
My hook-up is somewhat similar with the outside split for a direct line to the modem. At the wall in the LR, I have a 2-way, 5-1000MHz splitter. One leg feeds the box, the other to another splitter for a direct coax link to the TV (PIP and analog), VCR, Tivo, DVDR. It's my understanding the HD box and modem need the best signal levels.

YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.