AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Epson 3000 and 5000 series DIY screen paint

I'm looking to find some type of board plastic, dry erase board etc.
Need recommendations please.
144 inch x 71inch
Made my own paint after a lot of research trial and error.
Finally got what I want.
No hot spotting and viewable from any angle.
Currently it's painted on a textured wall.
Need a sheet of material to paint and hang.

Here is what I made. Any help would be appreciated

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
At that size you will need to use a stretched Vinyl Material like Flexi-White on a Wood or Aluminum Frame,
FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material

and spray the paint on using a HVLP Gun
Amazon.com: 1000ml Electric HVLP Air Spray Gun Kit 600W Motor Paint Sprayer 1.0mm Nozzle DIY: Home Improvement

The only other material remotely possible would be a sheet of Custom Ordered laminate from Wilson Art....which under a few circumstances has been available 12' x 6' sheets.
It is difficult to work with, can be fragile, needs to be glued to a flat surface, and must be well primed before painting upon.

And it is not inexpensive at that size. Some cabinet shops can order you a sheet....if they are so inclined to do so. Also Lowes Stores "used to" oblige. However if it was still really a viable option, it would be mentioned and pursued mor often.

One last possibility would be a smooth surface Vinyl Flooring material, also glued to a flat wall.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Thank you for your input this helps very much.
Sort of unrelated, but:
Did you end up using the Valspar Pearl metallic or the Rustoleum SterlingSilver metallic for the screen on the wall?
Would you mind sharing the ratio of metallic to flat-grey you used?

Looks nice already and should be really good on a smooth surface like you have planned.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valspar signature brushed pearl
Color-BP31A winter blue fox
Only sold in gallon
Lowes is where I found it.
Also - valspar flat black in a quart

Also
Behr ultra matte 1750
Color-770E-2 silver screen
1 gallon
Homedepot has it
Also 8oz behr ultra white Flat

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First time I mixed a batch was Rustoleum metallics with behr silver screen. To much hot spotting. Didn't matter what ratio or different color I mixed with mettalics
First video I put on you tube.
Tried the mix of pearl and after 20 tries I got what I wanted.
Thanks for the like.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
128Pearl+32FlatBlack quart'd down to:
26ozPearl+6ozFlatBlack
plus 32ozFlatGrey"silverscreen" and 8ozFlatWhite

Which should boil down to:
26oz metallic pearl and 46oz FlatGrey"DoverGrey"
36%Metallic:64%flat
Roughly 3:5 (metallic:flat) ending in a shade that's somewhere a bit lighter than N7.3DoverGrey.

Depending how strong Valspar concentrates their metallic, it should land somewhere around 0.6-0.7gain which is more than enough for that Epson to hit 16+ftL on a 148" surface that'll be showing an image up to ~30% brighter than its shade would if it were plain flat-grey.

In the video the screen looks like its shade is a good deal darker than DoverGrey though, so I could be wrong..it depends how dark it looks in person compared to the video.
Either way, it seems to be working really well despite the textured wall and getting sized up to 6ft tall. That's a monster screen.

Thanks for the mix rundown. It might help others with less than ideal walls who want some ambient light assistance.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
A 1:4 mix of 1part Rustoleum SterlingSilver and 4parts flat-grey"Veil" might land really close to what you have, but that's only a guess. How small of an amount of Rustoleum did you get down to before changing things up to the Valspar? In other words, how small did the ratio get while still looking how you didn't want it to?

I haven't tried any Valspar metallic but have used the rustoleum, and a good starting point for comparing the two is pretty helpful.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the Rustoleum silver metallics I did a 1 quart to 2 of behr silver screen it looked good but hotspots.
So I tried added a 16 ounce of flat white and flat black. Helped but still had hot spotting.
Finally I did a 1 quart Rustoleum to 2 flat black. That one came out great. But still during the day the whites were not as great. As the new paint I have now.
The video I put up is on a iPhone 5s does not do its justice. In person it looks way better as others seeing the video before coming over to my home.
The paint surrounding my screen is the Behr silver screen

I like your black paint mix. I tried something similar to it.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The paint surrounding my screen is the Behr silver screen.
Do you mean the walls and ceiling in the videos are Behr silverscreen, or does your screen have a thin border of Behr SS?

I remember you mentioned the first coat was just the Behr silverscreen while the second and third were the mix you made..do you remember how dark/light the mix looked compared to the first coat of plain Behr?
Was the mix darker, lighter, or pretty similar?

Thanks for all the details, this is interesting stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The paint surrounding my screen is the Behr silver screen.
Do you mean the walls and ceiling in the videos are Behr silverscreen, or does your screen have a thin border of Behr SS?

I remember you mentioned the first coat was just the Behr silverscreen while the second and third were the mix you made..do you remember how dark/light the mix looked compared to the first coat of plain Behr?
Was the mix darker, lighter, or pretty similar?

Thanks for all the details, this is interesting stuff.
The Surrounding paint is Behr Silver Screen. Well actually that whole wall is behr silver screen. This picture shows the Rustoleum mix first attempt on the left. Right side is Behr silver screen no mix.
Before I did this new screen paint
I re coated the screen with the Behr paint on right of picture. Not sure if it help. But I did it because the paint is self primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Here is a shot of the silver grey screen I made. You can see the difference is way darker than the Behr silver screen surrounding the screen.
Oh and I didn't paint the ceiling yet.
It's flat white so I really don't get any reflection etc.
That's a lot darker than I was figuring it would be for a mix of four paints of which 3 are the same or lighter than the walls while the black is less than 1/10 of the mix.. did you mean the first coat was Behr+white and the later coats were pearl+black, and I misunderstood thinking you mixed all four together in a can at once?

Or were the final coats using all four paints mixed into one container..and it just turned out pretty dark?

Or is that last picture of a different mix that you used earlier?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Some have ventured to say that a underlying White painted surface really has no effect when a overlay of Grey is painted...especially if the latter is rolled.

But anyone who has spent any amount of time painting knows better. It's not by accident or guessing that directions to tint a primer to 1/2 a given darker shade and coat a lighter colored wall before trying to apply a much darker co0lor are given...and the reverse being even more important should you try to cover a dark color with a lighter color.

In James of AZ's case, the decision to paint directly over the Behr SS wall made his end result be all the more darker. Quite suppressive in fact.

What is plainly shown is that one can mix a hodge-podge of different paints, and apply them in different sequences, and still come up with a watchable image. On James of AZ' screen, it took 3 different layers, the final one essentially a "corrective" layer to restore acceptable dynamics in white levels as well as mute reflective artifacts and what he deemed as being "Hot Spotting".

As to if such applications can or should be recommended to or considered by other members is far more problematic. Performance that one individual thinks is acceptable can be far left afield of what is really to be deemed acceptable..

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Some have ventured to say that a underlying White painted surface really has no effect when a overlay of Grey is painted...especially if the latter is rolled.
But anyone who has spent any amount of time painting knows better.
The underlying can show as pale spots when you still have thinner places in your first coat, but I don't believe it's going to show through after 3rolled coats are placed overtop.

It sounded like az rolled a coat of BehrSS and then followed with three coats of the same 4paint mixture..not a different layer each time, so coverage had to be pretty thorough by that point.

Matching up the primer color does make that first coat look nicer, even if it goes on patchy.

Now I'm really itching to have a look at the Valspar pearl.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But anyone who has spent any amount of time painting knows better.
The underlying can show as pale spots when you still have thinner places in your first coat, but I don't believe it's going to show through after 3rolled coats are placed overtop.

It sounded like az rolled a coat of BehrSS and then followed with three coats of the same 4paint mixture..not a different layer each time, so coverage had to be pretty thorough by that point.

Matching up the primer color does make that first coat look nicer, even if it goes on patchy.

Now I'm really itching to have a look at the Valspar pearl.
You are correct I did a coat of SS to cover up the Rustoleum Ss mix.
And 3 coats to make sure the painted finish came out with no imperfections
after the second coat it was good but I had enough paint left for a 3rd coat.
Gonna do a friends screen with a smothed out wall he already skimed.
If it comes out looking great. That's probaby what I will go with.
Thanks for your input.
Did take me about 4 months of trying on the weekends mixing and redoing.
And a lot of forums and working with a audio visual company.
Just found this site last week and wanted to show and get others comments and knowledge.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts