AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my PJ. Before I buy a new one I am looking at all angles. I put roughly 5,000 hours on the PJ every year. (Entire family uses it, for everything)

I am confused as to what the longevity is on other display types. Anyone have a few short words to guide me to the right forum?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15419190

How many hours is a Vizio LCD expected to go while maitaining its brightness and color?

vizio is not top quality compoents. hence the low price. so who knows? a year? or more?

if you want longevity, expect to pay for it. sony this year has the super expensive xbr8 with LED backlighting and the backlighting should far outlast the CCFL tubes on most other sets. samsung also has a model.

this coming year samsung and sony are expected to add to the LED backlight lineup, with samsung being the cheaper. if you can wait until the CES consumer electronics show starting 8jan2009 you will probably have a better idea of what is to come

on the other hand, if you want disposable with such high usage, go vizio and just keep replacing as needed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some searching and found some quoted half-lifes. Some of the latest generation of plasma displays boosts a quoted half-lifetime of 60,000hrs. Similarly, LCD displays have an expected quoted half-lifetime of between 50,000hrs and 60,000hrs. Most CRT's I found have quoted half-lifetimes of 20,000hrs.

Too bad a 91" LCD or plasma is not at my local Costco, it would make this much easier.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15419712

I did some searching and found some quoted half-lifes. Some of the latest generation of plasma displays boosts a quoted half-lifetime of 60,000hrs. Similarly, LCD displays have an expected quoted half-lifetime of between 50,000hrs and 60,000hrs. Most CRT's I found have quoted half-lifetimes of 20,000hrs.

Too bad a 91" LCD or plasma is not at my local Costco, it would make this much easier.

there is a 65" sharp....

plus don't forget it's more than just the panel as far a longevity

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15419190

How many hours is a Vizio LCD expected to go while maitaining its brightness and color?

About 50,000 hours for LCDs. A new 55" 120Hz model is coming out in January.

I have had two 1080p Vizios (42" and 52") for over a year and am still amazed with the quality and price.

Besides lamp life you need to also look at HDTV Reliability . Vizio is in the second grouping (along with LG, Samsung and Sharp) after Sony (#1) and has less of a chance than a Samsung to have a severe problem according to the survey of actual owners.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15419712

I did some searching and found some quoted half-lifes. Some of the latest generation of plasma displays boosts a quoted half-lifetime of 60,000hrs.

Current Panasonic plasmas are rated to last 100,000 hours. More importantly, they have excellent picture quality.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer /forum/post/15419065

Everything has pretty much the same half-life except bulb based rear projectors, which need the bulbs replaced every few months as they dim.

Wel, no, lamps typically last 6-7k hours, which even at 5000 hours/yr would be 14 or more months. Sony lamps often last over 10k hours. Anyway, lamp-based sets are on their way out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dismissing rear projectors as a dying breed, another thought might be power consumption and cost.

CNET says/said the average difference between plasma and LCD was 126 watts. Over 5000 hours at $.18/kwhr, that difference comes to $113 per year in favor of an LCD screen. Much more if a particularly efficient LCD is chosen. (Average is 213 watts, MINE is 155)

Over a 5 year life that differential will pay for a free replacement, should the need arise. Probably 2 sets if the price of TV's keeps dropping and the cost of electricity continues to soar.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play /forum/post/15421589

Dismissing rear projectors as a dying breed, another thought might be power consumption and cost.

CNET says/said the average difference between plasma and LCD was 120 watts. Over 10000 hours at $.18/kwhr, that difference comes to $216 per year in favor of an LCD screen.

Over a 5 year life that's over a $Grand and would overwnelm any consideration of screen life.

Choose an LCD and in 5 years, with the electricity money saved get probably 2 or 3 new sets "free."

1. No one watches TV 10,000 hours a year, because there are only ~8,760 hours in a year. You know that plasma bashing has really gotten out of control when people start talking about how expensive it is to use a plasma for 10,000 hours a year. [sarcasm]And just imagine how bad the burn-in will be on your plasma after you've used it for 50,000 hours in five years!!![/sarcasm]

2. I'm sorry if you pay $0.18/kWh, but thankfully, some of us do not. I believe the average rate is about $0.11, and it is only $0.0533 in my area.

Now let's choose a couple TVs to compare. We'll trust CNET's approximation of the post-calibration energy consumption of these TVs.

Panasonic TH-46PZ85U: 329.05 watts

Sony KDL-46XBR4: 136.51 watts

So as expected, a pretty substantial difference: 192.54 watts

At the average electricity rate, that would be ~$106 after 5,000 hours. Of course, 5,000 hours is a hell of a lot, and most of us probably don't use our televisions for over 13 hours a day. I estimate that I use my primary television for maybe about 1,800 hours a year. So, at my ridiculously low rate for electricity, I would save only ~$18.50 a year. That's less than $100 after 5 years and (obviously) much, MUCH less than the $1,000 that zip2play was talking about. And incidentally, the KDL-46XBR4 is around $400 more expensive than the TH-46PZ85U.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Electricity is an interesting topic. With roughly 3950 hours used for TV viewing in a year Mechanical has a point worth looking at.

Get ready to drop your jaw, my kWh charge is .18 cents with an added 'fuel surcharge' of roughly .18 to .24 cents. All of this last summer my kWh was an average of .42 cents.

There is a great plasma deal at Sears with a 600$ discount for the TH-50PZ80U

I think I am slowly admitting to myself that a projector just can't handle the load I am throwing at it. I am afraid to move from 91" to 50" or 47".

How close do you have to sit to a 47" to get 1080p to be recognizable?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15425267

...How close do you have to sit to a 47" to get 1080p to be recognizable?

A person of average eyesight can sit a distance of 2 times the screen diagonal and still see a smooth 1080p image. So for 47 inches that's a little under 8 feet.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher /forum/post/15426935

...It seems to be pointing me in the direction of a 50" 720p as 1080p at my 10 foot viewing distance is not noticeable...

I sit 11 feet from a 52 inch 720p D-ILA and never see pixels. The limiting factor in viewing quality is signal imperfections, not pixel count.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.