AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
You are going to get lots of different answers, all or most of them good ones and valid, but if you are looking for recommendation try to specify budget and specific application? Home Theater or Music? Kind of Music? Also what kind of sound do you like? The more specific you go the better answer you'll get.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The very best tweeters that I have ever heard AND owned are as follows:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...eas-excel-t25cf-002-e0011-millennium-tweeter/

Used in my Linbrook Signature Monitors. Absolute best I have ever heard period! Here is another that is also very impressive:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...velator-d2905/9900-00-1-tweeter-textile-dome/

Used in the Taylo Reference Monitors. Very nice tweeter. Another one of my favorites is this one:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...ers/vifa-xt25tg30-04-1-ring-radiator-tweeter/

The Ring Radiator Tweeter is used in Ty's Freedom Line and the Polk LSi/LSiM speakers. Very nice and smooth. Have NOT heard a BE tweeter and/or a RAAL. Both look very impressive to me. They certainly are on my to-do list.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
18,667 Posts
Like the title says, what type of tweeter do you guys like? What materials? And why you prefer it.

And also, what brand manufacturer tweeters do you like?
Ever since I heard Martin Logan's pleated tweeter on their Motion Series speakers, I've loved the sound. Not as harsh sounding to me as typical aluminum dome type tweeters. My wife likes the sound better too ( she has more sensitive hearing than I do ), which enables me to watch movies a bit louder than I could with a dome tweeter speaker. I wound up with 11 channels worth of Martin Logan Motion speakers in my theater too. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Ever since I heard Martin Logan's pleated tweeter on their Motion Series speakers, I've loved the sound. Not as harsh sounding to me as typical aluminum dome type tweeters. My wife likes the sound better too ( she has more sensitive hearing than I do ), which enables me to watch movies a bit louder than I could with a dome tweeter speaker. I wound up with 11 channels worth of Martin Logan Motion speakers in my theater too. :)
Martin Logan Motion series is certainly on my to-do list. Hope to get to hear them one day. You mentioned Aluminum Dome Tweeters. Just by chance have YOU ever heard the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs? They have an Aluminum Tweeter that is just flat out fantastic! Best rendition I have ever heard as far as Aluminum Tweeters go. Just recently sold a set. Kind of wished I had NOT done that.....LOL!!!! Just curious if you ever heard them and what your take is on them.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
804 Posts
No doubt that the Scanspeak Beryllium tweeter is the state of the art in tweeters that you can actually buy. Many of the uber expensive speaker manufacturers use some variant of it, including Rockport and Magico. They are extended and actually can go pretty low for a tweeter, down to 1500-2000 hz with the right crossover. They make two and the less efficient one has much better measurements. I've used them with Accuton midwoofers with great results. Regards. Ned.

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
For years I owned Infinity Interludes - a pair of IL-50's & a pair of IL-40s (pick of the litter IMO in the Interlude line) - and the matching IL36c center speaker. Infinity calls the tweeter material they use CMMD or Ceramic Metal Matrix Dome. Its a 1" ceramic/metal tweeter. The tweeter in the JBL Studio series was supposed to be as good or better. I owned 2 pairs of the S38 Studio bookshelf speakers and used the SCenter speaker. They were clear enough but didn't sound as good to me as the IL series tweeter. I'd have to say the OW2 in the song towers are just a tad better than the CMMD tweeter but I'm going by memory since I no longer have any Infinity speakers.

About 5-6 years ago my older sister asked me for advice on buying a 5 speaker setup - including an AVR. I picked up a nice used Denon 789 and a set of Infinity TSS-750 speakers and matching TSS-1200 center speaker. I had no idea the speakers had the CMMD tweeters in them - all I knew was that Harman Audio were almost giving them away at that time. When we plugged everything in and turned it on they gave the same sweet highs as I got from those Interludes. With a 3.5" 'woofer' they had no low end but that was covered with a decent 10" sub later on.

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
I like Dynaudio soft dome tweeter and Polk LSiM ring radiator tweeter. RAAL tweeter is nice too but only when on axis.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Guys, be really careful with tweeters and excessive amp power. I had a tweeter once. I fed it too much power so it grew to 18" and now sounds like Godzilla.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I bought a pair of ESS Heil AMT 1/b (towers) for my stereo system in 1978, and still use them today. I am amazed at how pure the mids and highs are on these speakers. The high end on these are absolutely effortless. For those not familiar with these---they use a folded/pleated ribbon type of transducer (similar to what Martin Logan is now using on their "Motion" series speakers). The only thing I had to do to these was to replace the foam surround on the active/passive bass cones a few years ago. Otherwise, I can arguably say these are still in like 98% new condition. I still agree with their old ad logo--"Sound as pure as light". The new model name (for the speakers I have) is "AMT Limited Edition".

http://esslabsusa.com/product-category/amt-limited-edition/

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
The 1" soft domes on my Usher V602's are far superior to the Linaeum tweeters on my PRO LX5's.

The soft domes in my B&W Concept 90 CM1's were good but not as good as the Usher's.

Waiting for delivery of some Martin Logan LX16's so I'll find out what all the fuss is about with their Folded Motion tweeters.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
In general I'm not a fan of metal tweeters, even beryllium and diamond. I'm a much bigger fan of soft dome and ribbon tweeters, my two favorites being Raidho/Scansonics ribbon and the Dynaudio soft dome.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I prefer the sound of soft dome tweeters. My ADS L1290 tweeters still sound great. I auditioned some speakers as I purchased an Anthem receiver a couple years ago and I could tell the higher-end demo room speakers had ribbon tweeters - just a bit too harsh(?). In fact, all my surround speakers have soft dome tweeters (also ADS).

·
Registered
347 Posts
another vote for ESL, otherwise folded motion or fabric. typically the aluminum/titanium/horns all are fatiguing for me.

Reactions: Bandyka
1 - 20 of 62 Posts