AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my current dying AMD690G mobo. I have AMD X2 5000+. ASUS M3A78-EM has good ratings at newegg, but did not get enthuastic response here at AVS. I have very good experience with ASUS mobos. What uATX mobo would you recommend. I will play DVD and record/watch live TV on a projector connected thru HDMI.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I got an open-box M3A78-EM ($50 w/ free ship) from newegg last year and its been working great so far.

My experiences with it:

I use it to connect a 720p TV and a 720p PJ to the DVI port. With the HDMI port I had to use scaling settings to fit the screen (probably due to my TV). Using a generic DVI-HDMI adapter the DVI port signal fits perfectly, don't know why. If I use an ATI DVI-HDMI adapter, the DVI signal will not fit and I have to use scaling again. Never figured out why and I didn't really care since I wasn't using the HDMI audio.

I had to manually switch out the TV and PJ cable every time I wanted to use them.

Now, I purchased the HD4350 card and use that to connect a TV (DVI), PJ (HDMI) and a Touch Screen (VGA) in my HTPC case. And all of them work in Clone mode. With any onboard IGP you can't use DVI and HDMI at the same time.

I use Optical SPDIF Out for everything except Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. For that I use the onboard sound card's analog outs. The analog sound is great, it has 7.1 but I use only 5.1 (older receiver).

6 usb ports on the back and 3 onboard headers (for 6 more), I like it since most HTPC cases do not have need for more than two headers. The Gigabyte 780G is a good board too but has only 4 usb ports on the back and 4 headers. I prefer the ASUS. Only 1 PS/2 port though (if it matters to you).

Right now Newegg has it for $64 AR w/ free ship. Its a really good price for the features. The only thing you can't have is 8-ch LPCM over HDMI. For that you have to get a different chipset board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts