AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this at HTD, but I am looking for all the help I can get.

I am not sure that I want to roll the dice with a hard power outage. I have heard that if the power goes down for a long time while I am watching my projector, it wont have time to cool off, and it could put a world of hurt on me. I was at Sams Club yesterday, and they had this:

Back-UPS Pro 1400VA

Part Number : BP1400

Estimated Resale Price : 584.99 USD * I think it was 120.00 at Sams Club.

Product Overview

Description APC Back-UPS Pro, 1400VA/950W, Input 120V/ Output 120V, Interface Port DB-9 RS-232

Features Audible Alarms, Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), Building wiring fault indicator, Hot Swap Batteries, Internet FAX - modem - DSL surge protection, Lightning and Surge Protection, Network Data Line Surge Protection, Overload Indicator, Replace Batt Indicator, Resettable circuit breaker, User Replaceable batteries

Would this be OK, or can you guys recommend something that would be better?

Thanks for any help guys,

Fred

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Fred- I have one here that I picked up used that I plan to use with the TV3. It is only 475 watts or 700 VA. Should be more than sufficient since our power here in Jacksonville rarely goes out but we do get some brownouts and a few 1 second failures. Mostly these are thunderstorm related. Given that the TV3 is about 250 watts total, this should be more than enough to run the PJ for awhile, enough to cool it down easily.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Fred - APC also makes rack mountable units that are much flatter and wider than the unit you're referring to. Even if you don't have a rack the rack mount model would likely fit with your components better (physcially). Take a look at the SU1000RM2U and SU1400RMXL3U. I think the rack mount versions give some extra battery time for little or no more money.

·
Banned
496 Posts
The TV3, as well as later versions of the TV2, shuts down the fan at the same time as the lamp. Dwin says that they found that their cooling system was so efficient that it was not necessary to continue running the fan after power down.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I hope thats true, because I really don't need to be spending any more money on otherwise unnecessary items like a UPS.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the above model today. I have an email into DWIN, and if they tell me its not needed, then I may think about returning it. I think that the 100.00 spent is worth the peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Fred-

Let us all know what Dwin says about what scotsol claimed. That would be great if what he says is backed up by Dwin. The TV2 used a lower wattage bulb, however. Maybe the same is not true of the TV3 with the 200 watt bulb. (more heat)

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
The TV3 doesn't use a 300 watt bulb, does it? I thought they were using a 200 watt bulb.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will let you guys know as soon as I hear something.

Fred

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Sorry, Mark, That was a typo on my part. I knew better. I'll change it so as not to confuse anyone reading.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Doesn't the UPS need to be a Smart UPS so that it outputs a true sine wave?

I set up my TV3 friday night. So far I have put 11 hours on it and the cool down period is only about 30 seconds long. That is one short cool down period.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
If the cool down period is only 30 seconds long, I really don't think that a UPS would be necessary, especially in light of the cost and potential issues of electrical output through the UPS mentioned by Toxarch.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here was a reply from DWIN on the topic mentioned above:

Dear Mr. DeGrandis,

Thank you for your email.

A consistent supply of power is always important for any home theater system, but an uninterruptible power supply may not be necessary based on your question and DWIN’s design. First of all, the TV3 will not relight the lamp if it is hot, it will wait until the lamp is cooled and then send a signal to the controller to light its standby led, allowing you to power on again. Second if you have a long outage, the lamp will be cooled enough through the convection design of the TV3 and it will function as though you simply powered off.

Also you would have to use two UPSs, one on the projector and one on the controller, because the TV3 depends on the On/Off signal from the controller, because if you only protect the projector, it will power down anyway without the On/Off signal. So, if you want to use two of the UPS you spec’d below, it will work. But more important would be surge protection, although you will get surge protection with the UPS, if you choose not to use a UPS, please use good surge protectors.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doesn't the UPS need to be a Smart UPS so that it outputs a true sine wave?

I set up my TV3 friday night. So far I have put 11 hours on it and the cool down period is only about 30 seconds long. That is one short cool down period

What would happen if you dont use a true sine wave unit?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It can show up as problems in the projector's picture.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
It can show up as problems in the projector's picture.
Problems long term, or just when the UPS is providing power?

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's possible a non-sinusoidal UPS could introduce video or audio noise during backup mode...but not likely. I hesitate to say all so I'll say MOST consumer electronic equipment immediately rectifies and filters the incoming AC power. It makes no difference in whether the input is sinusoidal, trapezoidal, squarewave, or DC. To be honest when testing my company's prototypes in the lab we always use DC. It's much easier to test the universal input voltage range (88-275 VAC) with a cheap 1kW 100-400VDC DC supply. If you forget and start soldering with the power on you only blow up your board instead of tripping the lab bench breaker with all the test equipment on it ;) About the only time we use an AC source is when we characterize line harmonics for power factor corrected front ends.

That said, I use several APC rack mount 3000VA UPSs (sinusoidal). I basically run my entire HT off them. So during a brownout or short power outage we don't even notice until a snack break and the microwave's blinking (or if lighting is on and blinks).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank You for your detailed reply!

Will I be OK to use the unit listed above? I don't ever plan to use the thing when power is down, all I would want to do then is power the unit off, and let the fan do its thing. If it wont harm the PQ of the unit while playing while the power is behaving? I will have the projector hooked up to this at all times. I don't want to damage anything permanently in the projector if a power outage occurs(can something like this happen?).

Thanks for your response,

Fred

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.