AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a walkout basement that is light controlled, walls and ceiling are a dark chocalate brown from Sherwin Williams, think its mocha. I currently have a 112" grandview 1.0 gain fixed frame screen, and was considering buying the Sony hw40es, but with the price at 2,500 , I'm starting to consider possibly buying used. My ceilings are only 7 ft high, and seating distance can be whatever, currently around 12 -13 ft I believe. In hindsight , I was foolish to sell my 8500, thinking a 55 inch led tv would be ok for my basement. Anyway I may consider the Sony hw 40es if it drops again to 1999, but what used projectors out there should I consider if i decide to go that route.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
From an 8500, then 5030 or the HW40ES are the most obvious choices. If you can get a used JVC model, then those are excellent as well, in fact, they are significantly better with black levels.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have a walkout basement that is light controlled, walls and ceiling are a dark chocalate brown from Sherwin Williams, think its mocha. I currently have a 112" grandview 1.0 gain fixed frame screen, and was considering buying the Sony hw40es, but with the price at 2,500 , I'm starting to consider possibly buying used. My ceilings are only 7 ft high, and seating distance can be whatever, currently around 12 -13 ft I believe. In hindsight , I was foolish to sell my 8500, thinking a 55 inch led tv would be ok for my basement. Anyway I may consider the Sony hw 40es if it drops again to 1999, but what used projectors out there should I consider if i decide to go that route.
At that screen size in a dark room, it would be tough to beat a used JVC RS1/2/10/20 as long as 3D was not important to you. Any of them can be had for $1000 including a new OEM lamp. If you want something new, at that screen size, even the Panny 8000 for $1600 would be a reasonable choice. Of course, if black levels are not your most critical feature, the $700 W1070 will make a screen that size look as bright as an LCD flat panel TV.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I've seen the 3D on most of the JVC models which have supported it, and it doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be. With JVC glasses, there is really very little ghosting, and the image has been plenty bright on screens up to 120" that I've seen personally.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I've seen the 3D on most of the JVC models which have supported it, and it doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be. With JVC glasses, there is really very little ghosting, and the image has been plenty bright on screens up to 120" that I've seen personally.
I was referring only to the early models I listed as bargains. JVC 3D didn't exist earlier than the RS46 models, it looks like, and a used RS46 plus a new lamp would cost as much as a new 5030ub with a warranty.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From an 8500, then 5030 or the HW40ES are the most obvious choices. If you can get a used JVC model, then those are excellent as well, in fact, they are significantly better with black levels.
At that screen size in a dark room, it would be tough to beat a used JVC RS1/2/10/20 as long as 3D was not important to you. Any of them can be had for $1000 including a new OEM lamp. If you want something new, at that screen size, even the Panny 8000 for $1600 would be a reasonable choice. Of course, if black levels are not your most critical feature, the $700 W1070 will make a screen that size look as bright as an LCD flat panel TV.

Yeah I have heard the older Jvc are really nice units. The w1070 is certainly a possibility, but I do worry that I will see the rainbow effect, as I seem to notice every other flaw on tvs, projectors. Anyone know if the jVC have a sealed lightpath ? I was really interested in the new epson 5025, and my old epson 8500 never had an issue with dust blobs, but I cant imagine how mad i would be if I paid 2 grand for a projector and after 2 years got a dust blob, and be up the creek.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yeah I have heard the older Jvc are really nice units. The w1070 is certainly a possibility, but I do worry that I will see the rainbow effect, as I seem to notice every other flaw on tvs, projectors. Anyone know if the jVC have a sealed lightpath ? I was really interested in the new epson 5025, and my old epson 8500 never had an issue with dust blobs, but I cant imagine how mad i would be if I paid 2 grand for a projector and after 2 years got a dust blob, and be up the creek.
I had 15000 hours and 7 years on my JVC RS1 and never had a dust blob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts