AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you press the Select/Status button (right in the middle of the remote) the display will indicate your current version.

My dealer called me to have me check. Mine says version 1.12 -he is thinking that means it may have the newer Motorola DSP pre-installed

Ever the pessimist, I think he is just trying to get out of the deal we made to install the upgrade for free. :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Siligoose,

The last software upgrade to the AVM-20 is version 1.12, released on February 8, 2002. You can read about the particulars on the AVM-20 Software Upgrade Page .

Now, it is possible that Anthem has installed the upgraded Motorola chipset in the AVM-20s recently built, but there is no way to know for sure except to ask Anthem. There have been rumors (I despise that word) that Anthem will be providing the hardware upgrade at a discount before the upgraded software is ready. I am not sure what sense that makes, other than to convince potential buyers that the DPL II/DTS-ES/etc software upgrades will be coming soon.

Michael

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael!

I thought it odd that a software version indicate what hardware is inside. Still, I thought I'd check.

My dealer indicated that the upgrade price would be $100 plus install for the first few months (actually, I forgot the time period he said). However, the price he quoted me may have been the dealer cost since he's doing it for me for no charge.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The software will have to be upgraded in order to use the new functionnality of the hardware upgrade. 1.12 is the latest available version. A new software will be released, something like 2.0 make sense and in a way the software version is an indication of the hardware.

EL

·
Registered
Marantz SR5015, Epson projector, Focal Cobalt 816 speakers
198 Posts
Hi guys-

I was just wondering- what are the main differences between the Anthem AVM2 and Anthem AVM20?

Both are available used and I'm trying to decide which one to go with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is it correct that both the AVM2 and the AVM20 both have only 7 inputs for source components? Do most people find that to be sufficient?

I was hoping for a pre/pro that has 10 inputs, but it seems to be impossible to find in my price-range. The only ones I've found with 10 inputs are the McIntosh MX-134 and the Lexicon MC-12, but those are both too expensive.

Is my need for 10 inputs out of the ordinary? Can anyone suggest a pre/pro with 10+ inputs?

·
Registered
703 Posts
benrub, are all 10 of your imputs digital? If some are analog, and you are not super picky about their sound quality, then get a cheapo A/V switch box and use that in front of one of the pre/pro's free inputs. If you get a 4 way AV switch and a 7 input processor, then that is your 10 inputs. As long as 4 of them are analog only the av switch box and 1 set of extra cables should not cost you that much.

One other thing about the version of the AVM-20...I do believe it is going to 2.0 in the next release...The last email I got from Anthem said they have the design and are waiting for parts. My guess is July sometime for the release of the upgrade...$300-$400 most likely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Fitsman-

Not a bad idea- thanks for that suggestion.

No, they're no all digital, VCR1 and VCR2 are both analog, so is the computer.

Maybe I could put VCR2 (hardly use it) and computer into the same input using a switcher.

A good thought!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ben,

I think that the Integra Research RDC-7 may have enough inputs for you. I believe it has 5 separate inputs defined as Video 1 thru Video 5 alone.

For the AVM-20, there are 7 "standard" named inputs, along with the internal AM/FM tuner. In addition, there is a 5.1 analog input that could be used with any analog source. There is also a 2 channel balanced input available, which could be used with single-ended sources (i.e. VCR) via a SE-to-balanced adapter. That would give you a total of 9, leaving you one short.

If the number of inputs is critical, I would look at the RDC-7, which is an excellent processor.

Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
Michael-

Thanks for the idea. I've done some reading up on the Integra Research RDC-7. It seems that the biggest complaint is that it has a "cutover that is fixed at 80hz"

Read this post:
  • I would advise you to be aware of two issues that may affect your decision to buy the RDC-7. The first is that if you have full range speakers than you need to aware that there is only an 80hz cutover that is fixed. In the upgrade they are planning on cutting over at 80hz,100hz, and 120hz with full range speakers you would probably want to cutover at 40hz which the RDC-7 can't and won't do in the future. Apparently Integra is under the misconception that everyone runs their speakers as small and doesn't bull full range speakers. The second issue is that if you want to use video switching for HD sources it won't work because the bandwidth on the RDC-7 is limited to 45hz. If these are not major concerns to, then go for it. I would also recommed that you check out the Anthem AVM-20 which isn't limited by the above concerns and is in the same price ballpark. Hope this helps.
My question: what does cutover mean?

Does it mean that all audio below 80hz will be routed to the subwoofer?

Ben

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ben,

"My question: what does cutover mean?"

"Does it mean that all audio below 80hz will be routed to the subwoofer?"

This is correct for all speakers set to "small". For "large" speakers, they would get a full-range signal. It is interesting that you mentioned the crossover "issue". According to the discussion in this thread , there will be additional crossovers available for the RDC-7 with the soon-to-be-released upgrade (40, 60, 80, 100 and 120Hz).

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.