AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the TiVo guide data, HDNet Movies is showing Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Special Edition. But it seemed more like a mix of the original version and the special edition... there was no interior of the mothership in the end but a lot of the SE scenes were still intact. Is this some sort of final director's cut?

I enjoyed the HD presentation but was a little disappointed in the dynamic range of the soundtrack. I fully expected the mothership's musical response to shake the room but it didn't have much impact.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was wondering also what version HDNet has been showing, and from two different sites listing various verions of Hollywood releases that I've read, it seems they're showing the 1998 Collectors Edition version.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - Numerous recuts since original 135-minute release in 1977:

- 132-minute "Special Edition" (replacing certain footage with previously cut scenes and newly-shot "Mothership Finale") released in 1980

- syndicated/LaserDisc version (essentially the original release but replacing 30 seconds of footage with five seconds of a UFO shot from the "Special Edition") also runs 135 minutes

- 1982 network version (combining all known footage available at the time) runs 143 minutes

- 1998 137-minute "Collector's Edition" (also essentially the original version but with differently edited material and without "Special Edition"'s "Mothership Finale") is what's widely seen today

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan /forum/post/0

I enjoyed the HD presentation but was a little disappointed in the dynamic range of the soundtrack. I fully expected the mothership's musical response to shake the room but it didn't have much impact.

I've always been perplexed by this. I have a vivid memory of first seeing this film (with a 70mm print) at a big theater in San Francisco -- the audio was phenomenal, at least by the standards of the day. When that big note hit at the beginning of the film (when it goes from a black to a white screen), I (along with my popcorn bucket) hit the ceiling! The dynamic range was incredible and it scared the **** out of me. For whatever reason, this has never been captured in ANY of the video releases -- they have all been dull and lifeless.

It's all there on the original soundtrack CD though. That sounds great.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on your description, videojames, I would agree that we saw the Collector's Edition.

I'd seen the SE version as a 10 yr old child and all I could recall were the musical call/response scenes and the mothership interior. Oh, and Dreyfuss playing with his potatoes.

janitor - your description cracked me up. I hope at least some of the popcorn landed back in the bucket when you fell back into your seat.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor /forum/post/0

I've always been perplexed by this. I have a vivid memory of first seeing this film (with a 70mm print) at a big theater in San Francisco -- the audio was phenomenal, at least by the standards of the day. When that big note hit at the beginning of the film (when it goes from a black to a white screen), I (along with my popcorn bucket) hit the ceiling! The dynamic range was incredible and it scared the **** out of me. For whatever reason, this has never been captured in ANY of the video releases -- they have all been dull and lifeless.

It's all there on the original soundtrack CD though. That sounds great.

You should hear it on vinyl.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/0

You should hear it on vinyl.

I have it.
In honor of you, I just pulled it off the shelf, fired up the trusty ol' Thorens turntable, Shure SME tonearm + V15 Type V-MR cartridge and let it fly. I must now reattach my house to the foundation ...

·
Registered
10,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic /forum/post/0

And considering the Shure tone arm and V15 cartridge were no where near the best quality turntable equipment in their day, one could image what they would sound like with audiophile equipment.

Yes, like with a CD player for example!

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl /forum/post/0

Yes, like with a CD player for example!

I said audiophile equipment - of which Shure never came close....turntables such as Goldmund, Townshend Rock, Versa Dynamics, Forsell and Rockports are the Turntables I am speaking of. Combine that with the proper cartridge (again the mass produced Shure V-15 wasn't) and it can still blow away the CD players of today.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/15038824

Theatrical (1977) you know the one with 70mm baby boom of course you wouldn't have single clue so what's the use.

You dragged up a topic from almost two years ago for that?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan /forum/post/9529767

I didn't see it on HDNet, but I did see it in the theaters and very much remember the experience you're alluding to.

On a related thought, if you're a music lover, my "reference" for a similar house-shaking experience is this recording of Saint-Saens 3rd, the Organ Symphony, conducted by Paul Paray . There is no equal.

I first heard it during college days, when the guy in the next room used to play it (on vinyl) every Friday afternoon after the week's classes ended.

I bought a CD copy last year, and seem to have come up with a similar monthly tradition... just for a thrill.

Seems to have become rare, but absolutely should be part of anyone's collection.

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor /forum/post/9533365

I couldn't agree more; I was very disappointed in the dynamic range of the TV presentation and still have very strong memories of the original theatrical presentation.

College years and taking a first date to the the theatrical presentation. She was not a big movie-goer and was giving me a hard time about insisting that we go to the best theater in the city. Sitting tenth-row center when that big WHOMP came at the beginning of the movie and pushed us back into the seats. She went "Oh my God - now I know what you mean!" and was still talking about the movie as I made French Toast for breakfast the next morning. Thank you Spielberg!

·
Registered
557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd /forum/post/15063571

I couldn't agree more; I was very disappointed in the dynamic range of the TV presentation and still have very strong memories of the original theatrical presentation.

College years and taking a first date to the the theatrical presentation. She was not a big movie-goer and was giving me a hard time about insisiting that we go to the best theater in the city. Sitting tenth-row center when that big WHOMP came at the beginning of the movie and pushed us back into the seats. She went "Oh my God - now I know what you mean!" and was still talking about the presentation after I made French Toast for breakfast the next morning. Thank you Spielberg!

Which "presentation"...yada yada yada

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.