Retro skin should be back next week.Just went through this two years ago with the loss of the retro-skin until a thread was started on how to get most of it back. I hope that the retro-skin is coming back sooner than later for us long timers who have only ever used the retro-skin.......
AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.
As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).
For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:
- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.
- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post.
- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.
- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.
- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.
- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.
- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.
Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.
Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you might encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.
So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
I don't remember there was a price with the first VB. I'm missing huddler more and more. Can you fix the subscriptions? I want it like before where it told you how many post were made since your last post.Like before Huddler, custom user titles are a perk for AVS Club members.
Please see the trouble with existing links described in this post. It's a serious problem:
That's not true Mike,Like before Huddler, custom user titles are a perk for AVS Club members.
This is line 1.I'm not able to space my post to a separate line? When i do that and post it still puts everything together. Also is notifications suppose to be for your messages or subscriptions? Right now it say 2 and when i click it it takes me to my subscriptions?