AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
That kind of depends on what you define as "best".

There is little doubt that the Canon HV series cams are about the best you can get in terms of picture quality (for consumer cams). Camcorderinfo.com STILL has these cams pegged as the top scoring cams (and this includes the newer avchd cams)..... so it's not "what was"... but rather what IS. The build quality of these cams however has lagged something awful and is a common complaint. Sony tends to pick it up in this department... the HC series cam has been noted in having a top notch build quality. They also tend to have better still picture qualities.

So... what's "best" is what you figure is more important.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney /forum/post/15432390

That kind of depends on what you define as "best".

There is little doubt that the Canon HV series cams are about the best you can get in terms of picture quality (for consumer cams). Camcorderinfo.com STILL has these cams pegged as the top scoring cams (and this includes the newer avchd cams)..

wrong, and you know it barney... from the camcorderinfo website:

"Ultimately, the HF11 (shooting in 1080/60i) produced an approximate horizontal resolution of 675 lw/ph. The vertical resolution measured approximately 600 lw/ph."

"The resolution of the Canon HV30... We recorded in 1080/60i. At best, the camcorder was able to produce a horizontal resolution of 625 line widths per picture height (lw/ph) and a vertical resolution of 575 lw/ph."

the hf11 has the latest DIGIC DV II processor(same as in the canon xl h1), while the hv30 is using the old Digic DV... the hf11 has a 12x zoom vs the hv30 10x zoom, and camcorderinfo gave the hf11 a significantly better compression rating.

the hf11 has 13 manual shutter speed steps(minimum lux .20), vs 9 shutter speed steps(minimum lux 3.0) for the hv30.

the lower the lux rating, the better the camcorder is in low light conditions, and per the canon numbers above, the hf11 is clearly better than the hv series in low light.

hdv is obsolete.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15434899

wrong, .

No... YOU'RE wrong... once again.

Here's my statement:
Quote:
Camcorderinfo.com STILL has these cams pegged as the top scoring cams (and this includes the newer avchd cams).....

and here's the proof:

overall point score:

Canon HV30 324.64

Canon HV20 322.36

Canon HF10 317.08

Canon HF11 313.75

Canon HF100 310.26

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php#

Not withstanding, the poster's question was about TAPE cams. Your HF11 does not belong in this thread. Isn't that amazing BTW... a HDV tape cam with 10x zoom and 1440x1080 resolution.... beating out the score of the HF11

Now... let's see YOUR proof... PROVE to me that HDV is dead... or stop flapping the gums over an unfounded statement that lives only in your mind.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15434899

wrong, and you know it barney...

How old are you???? Can you stop this nonsense...! Here we go again. Please grow up and stop this gibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really are a liability to this forum with this feuding. I wil contact the mods and hopefully this trash will stop..........

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:

There is little doubt that the Canon HV series cams are about the best you can get in terms of picture quality (for consumer cams).

the camcorderinfo resolution numbers prove otherwise.

Quote:

(and this includes the newer avchd cams)..

the o.p. asked about tape-based camcorders only.

so why did you go off-topic by including avchd cams in your post?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera1 /forum/post/15436204

How old are you???? Can you stop this nonsense...! Here we go again. Please grow up and stop this gibberish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really are a liability to this forum with this feuding. I wil contact the mods and hopefully this trash will stop..........

my apologies for upsetting you.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyqbc /forum/post/15440495

and they seem kind flimsy compared to the HV20

Honestly... I thought they were both a little flimsy. I have quite a few cams and although the PQ of the HV20 is pretty stunning, the build quality is more than just bad.... it's just not very well though out.

The hand strap for example is attached to the door at the back so part of the weight of the cam is sitting on the door hinge and clasp. Though I have not really seen any problems as a result, i would not exactly call it brilliant engineering. There is a bevel on the back of the LCD screen so that when you go to 'pinch' the various playback buttons (ie: rewind, FF), the screen kind of flips out of your hand. And the back cover for the various connections can only be described as cheap. After the second or third time in connecting my fire wire, the back cover will no longer stay closed.

It's actually a bit maddening... my excitement for the incredible PQ of this cam is somewhat hampered by the rather ill-thought engineering. On the bright side though, they have done a good job at keeping the price tag down to quite a reasonable number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.