AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The Dell "deal", or should I say scam, was to exploit a pricing error on Dell's website which mistakenly gave the LT150 for $1700. The general idea was that if there will be enough LT150 orders, Dell won't be able to retreat without hurting their hard earned reputation.

It worked and now It's over.

In order to clear their conscience, some of the participants raised a theory that it was Dell which actually run a scam on them, by selling them a soon to be outdated pj (by the LT150Z) in what appear to be a bargain price.

The truth is in the eyes of the beholder, I guess...

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've heard several different stories from several different sources.

one said that NEC gave Dell the wrong price when they marked the units down and Dell assumed they had more of a rebate coming back.

as one of the people to take advantage of the deal, & only ordered 1 pj for my own use (although if i'd have known i would have liked it this much, i would have ordered another as a spare), i don't think i would call it a scam.

over the course of the entire sale period the excessivly low price was brought to their attention repeatedly and supervisors were asked to verify that price repeatedly.

and they did.

for reference-the pj was being sold for $1770 and some were even able to get it lower than that with an internet special going on at the same time. up till then the lowest it had been was $2800. i believe another company made a similar pricing error on it a week or two earlier (priced at about $2000) but they caught their error w/in several days and cancelled the orders.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Jones-Rush, you are extremely wrong. Dell's quarter ended July 31st and they were desperately behind making Wall Street Anaylst's estimates. So, they offered many of their products at or below cost in order to inflate their Sales Figures. This was not an error and I assure you, Dell is not the kind of company that would let themselves be taken advantage of even if it meant their reputation among the AVS Forum community.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Jones-Rush: I don't pretend to know the details of what happened at Dell during this time but pricing error or not no one should consider this a scam. You make it sound like 100 or so avscience forum members put the multinational billion dollar computer company that Dell is into a corner and told them what to do. If Dell didn't want to sell those projectors at that price, mistake or not, they wouldn't have. It is just that simple. Pricing errors happen all the time on the net and most of the time companies do not honor the mistake. In this case a price was given for not even a short period of time. Don't forget this went on for days. Dell was very aware of the price and left it there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Do you really think the price will drop again in October? I am waiting to see. I would love to get it at $2000 or lower, because I also have to buy an iScan with it for my laserdisc collection.

·
Registered
30 Posts
rgb:

The fact that 1701 is the Enterprise reg. number, only reinforces my explanation about this deal:

"Aliens from another galaxy with underdeveloped projector technology, get connected to Dell's web site, reduce the price to a number they were familiar with, brain washed Dell's supervisors for them not to correct the price to give them time to get possesion of the bodies and minds of human beings (read the members of this forum)and forced us to buy the projectors. Next step of this alien plan: when their mothership is properly positioned, all the lt150s will be beamed up and we all lt150's new owners will end up with strange dejavous of having owned a brand new proj.and a bunch of breakout cables, ceiling mounts. Worst of all: Our wives wouldn't stop complaining about us waisting money on stuff we don't have an equipment for."

Saludos,

Sorry for my english!!

Santiago

From Colombia, SouthAmerica

[This message has been edited by chacruz0210 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaron:
I should also point out the proof of Dell's intentions will be the end of October when they have to do this once again to make numbers. I plan on buying a Plasma screen on the "scam" then. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
Further proof is the price for a refurbished Dell 8000 Inspiron laptop. I bought this from Dell's site at the end of July for $1039 with a free printer. This same laptop now costs between 1300 and 1500 on Dell's site.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The Enterprise registry number is the best explanation I've heard yet. We are talking about Austin here, where there's definetly no shortage of Trekkies.

Kelly

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb:
The actual posted price for the LT150 was $1701.
Actually there were a couple of posted prices. First, the $1770 which you could also get a 5% internet discount with and free shipping and the $1701 price. Dell has separate pricing and specials based on whether you are a consumer, small-business user or big business user.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.